It’s been steamy around Long Island the last couple of days, and the weekend figures to continue that trend. How are we beating the heat at LHH this weekend? Beach? A house or cabin upstate? Blow-up kiddie pool with a tepid hose?
- Ancillary to the Belmont arena project, the NYRA officially announced that the final two weeks of the 37-day Belmont fall meet would be moved to Aqueduct Racetrack. The move, which would take place in October, would be to accommodate for construction for the arena. More confirmation that they’ll get shovels in the ground soon. [Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing Nation]
- The Islanders Prospect Report reviews the 2018-19 seasons of all the collegiate prospects still in the system.
- With all the discussion surrounding the goaltending situation with the Islanders, a forgotten name is that of 2018 3rd-round pick, Jakub Skarek. He just finished his first season in the Finnish league and isn’t sure when his move to North America will come. [Newsday]
- The Sound Tigers signed seven players for the upcoming season: five forwards and two defensemen. Among them are previously unqualified RFA John Stevens, the-returning-again Steve Bernier, and the son of Devils legend John MacLean, Kyle MacLean, fresh out of the OHL. [Soundin’ Off | Sound Tigers]
- ICYMI: Also Bridgeport related, they revealed their schedule for the upcoming season, along with the rest of the AHL. [Sound Tigers]
- LISTEN: The Isle Seat Podcast shuts it down for this season by having Brian Compton in studio to discuss the summer so far and what more needs to change before opening night.
- LISTEN: Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek also “tied a bow” on the season with their (probable) last episode of the season of the 31 Thoughts Podcast. In it, Friedman discusses what he’s heard in regards to a Mitch Marner offer sheet, including the Blue Jackets and Islanders interest and chances, starting around the 10:00-mark.
12.5x7 was number connected to Islanders re Marner. But Friedman doesn't think Marner wants to sign that term, in case Toronto doesn't match. Even with Toronto, Friedman thinks Marner doesn't want to sign at that term. Marek and Friedman agree Toronto wouldn't match that.— James (@Account4hockey) July 12, 2019
But Friedman says if Marner were to sign an offersheet with longer term like that, the Islanders would be high on that list.— James (@Account4hockey) July 12, 2019
- LISTEN: Andrew Ladd went on TSN Radio in Toronto to discuss his fishing event for the Ladd Foundation, the Isles, and Robin Lehner.
- Speaking of Ladd, though not nearly as positive through no intention of his own, his contract was determined to be the tenth worst contract in the league currently, according to Dom Luszczyszyn. Former Islander, current Sabre, and fellow 2016 signee Kyle Okposo ranked fourth. [The Athletic]
- WATCH: Want to see a pretty, NHL-official video of Mathew Barzal’s top 10 plays from this past season? Of course you do! Number 1 is definitely my favorite.
Other News, Like Not Islanders-Related
- Another dangling free agent found a home for shorter term and less money than they probably expected they were getting. This time, it was Ryan Dzingel, who signed a 2-year deal worth $6.75 million to join the Hurricanes. [NHL]
- 1st-overall pick Jack Hughes inked the max entry-level deal possible with the Devils yesterday. Lotta money for a guy who never played in the NHL! [Sportsnet]
- The Wysh List runs down 10 lessons we learned from the 2019 offseason. One of the involves Artemi Panarin “disrespecting” the Islanders, which sort of feels like bait more than anything, right? [ESPN]
- To follow up from other bits that came out of the 31 Thoughts Podcast episode: what exactly happened between Columbus and Marner’s camp? [Sportsnet]
- And guest of the episode, Nazem Kadri, revealed why he vetoed a three-way trade that would have sent him to the Flames for T.J. Brodie as the centerpiece of the deal. [Sportsnet]
- Many Blues fans promised they would get tattoos if the Blues ever won a Stanley Cup. Well, a lot of them are keeping their word and are getting Champ Stamps. No, I’m not joking. [The Athletic]