You know who’s happiest about the latest Belmont news? Probably Jon Ledecky. Yeah, definitely Jon Ledecky, who spoke with season ticket holders.
- In their final(?) podcast before a summer break, Dan and Mike discuss the Belmont news and amusing complaints, desired trade targets, and the fun of Toronto’s Marner angst. Dan also previewed a new series for next season: Islanders Award Winners. [Islanders Anxiety]
- Who’s paying for the (B)Elmont station? Yes it’s mostly the developers, though they aren’t fronting all of their contribution, with $30 million up front followed by $67 to the state in installments over 30 years. [Newsday]
- More on Belmont, some late adds to yesterday’s bits: Isles Seat podcast with Randi Marshall, and Crain’s NY covering it with nothing new, but fun to see the Islanders in business press.
- All three area metro teams have created a buzz this offseason, though for the Isles it’s mostly off the ice. [AP]
- The Sound Tigers schedule is due out today, though openers around the league are already available. [Soundin’ Off]
- Get and sort lots of minor/prospect stats with this project form Dave MacPherson @davemacp: https://pick224.com/.
- The Islanders and Smurfs are taking two different approaches to igniting more female youth hockey growth. [Ice Garden]
Tonight was the first day of the #Isles Street Hockey Program with the Nassau County Police Athletic League! More than 90 kids were in attendance and had so much fun learning to play hockey. pic.twitter.com/EgqojMFq4R— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) July 10, 2019
- Trade! The Sabres exchange the Other Nylander to Chicago for fairly promising defenseman Henri Jokiharju. [NHL | Die By The Blade | Second City Hockey | THN]
- Is Camp Marner just holding out for an offer sheet? [Sportsnet video]
- Avoiding arbitration news: Malcolm Subban reaches terms with Vegas | Ryan Graves does the same with the Avalanche | Danton Heinen found a two-year deal with the Bruins
- So it was true all along: Matt Duchene and his guitar always wanted to end up in Nashville. [NHL]
- The top UFAs still available? They’re still available. [Sportsnet]
- Upon further review...Kevin Labanc’s one-year, $1 million RFA extension still doesn’t really make sense (for him). [TSN]
- The NWHL’s Connecticut Whale are moving again, this time to Danbury where a Federal League team will share the home. [CT Post]
- Sad news: Former NHLer and Predators captain Greg Johnson passes away at 48. [NHL]
- Summer of Stanley: In Manitoba, Joel Edmundson eats poutine out of the Cup.