The rumor mill is heating up and Artemi Panarin, a prized free agent who does not already play for them, is seriously considering the Islanders. A massive departure from years past. He and Sergei Bobrovsky both flew to New York today, presumably to meet interested teams at their agent’s office. And then there’s this:
Friedman on 31 Thoughts podcast says a “couple guys” told him the reason the Islanders have not signed Lehner and Lee is because they are going after Panarin and Bobrovsky.— NHL Prospects Watcher (@Prospects_Watch) June 25, 2019
And also, this:
LeBrun on TSN1050 says there could be a surprise team, but he believes it will come down to 3 teams for Artemi Panarin, Florida, Rangers and the Islanders.— NHL Prospects Watcher (@Prospects_Watch) June 25, 2019
- As prospect mini-camp rolls on, defensemen prospects Noah Dobson and Bode Wilde look to make the jump (Wilde is eligible for the AHL, but Dobson is not). [Newsday]
- Goalie prospect Linus Soderstrom is also back on the ice after missing last season with a lower-body injury.
- Reece Newkirk, Felix Bibeau, and Cole Coskey are all there. The late 2019 picks were happy to be selected by the Isles. [Islanders]
- The schedule for 2019-20 was announced yesterday: the Islanders will begin and end the season on three-game homestands. [Islanders | LHH]
- Here are 10 more takeaways from the Islanders new schedule. [Islanders]
- They’ll play in two different arenas this season, but the mix is more even this time. [Newsday]
- Now that we’re into free agency, Arthur Staple published a list of potential free agents for the Islanders to consider as they look to improve the offense. [The Athletic]
- The Avalanche traded Carl Soderberg to the Coyotes in exchange for Kevin Connauton and a pick. [ESPN]
- The Hockey Hall of Fame class for 2019 was announced today, and Hayley Wickenheiser leads the way. [Sportsnet | TSN]
- Also getting in: defenseman Sergei Zubov. Don’t worry, we’re giving you the Stars perspective, not the Rangers. [Defending Big D]
- Apparently, there’s controversy over Paul Henderson, a decent NHLer and WHAer who really made his mark as part of the 1972 Summit Series with the Soviet Union, not getting in. [The Athletic]
- The Blues have given coach Craig Berube a 3-year contract and finally removed the interim tag from his title. [NHL]
- Craig Custance breaks down the free agents into tiers and estimates pay ranges for them. [The Athletic]
- PPP sounds like they’re beginning to make their peace with the possibility that Mitch Marner plays elsewhere next season.
- A lower upper cap limit doesn’t just affect teams at the upper limit; changes in escrow act as a hidden force that discourages spending. [The Athletic]
- Former Islander Travis Hamonic talks about the importance of making a difference in the lives of Indigenous young people.