The second day of the 2019 NHL Entry Draft is here and the New York Islanders are ready to add to their system with mostly late-round hail Marys. Their first pick of the day is slated for the end of the second round, then they don’t pick again until the fifth.
League-wide, lots of rumors swirled about trades (P.K. Subban? Islanders surplus defensemen?) and free agent brinksmanship (offer sheet for Mitch Marner? standstill between the Isles and Anders Lee?). Minutes before this post, Patrick Marleau was dumped on the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for a conditional first-round pick, while Subban was traded to the New Jersey Devils for peanuts:
Santini, Davies and two seconds to NASH— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) June 22, 2019
Told that there won’t be any deal between Columbus and Matt Duchene before the UFA speaking period opens Sunday. Fair to say Nashville is the front runner.— Craig Custance (@CraigCustance) June 22, 2019
Mazanec, a third and a conditional first for JT Miller from VAN— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) June 22, 2019
So in addition to the next nearly 200 picks, there may be movement with players who are already in the NHL. This post will serve as our live draft chat thread, but we’ll add posts on individual players to our 2019 NHL Draft story stream.
Some resources for you as Round 2 streams by on Sportsnet, NHL Network or NBC Sports stream):
- Some top prospects still available after the first round [NHL]
- Order of all selections (before further trades) [NHL]
- Silver Seven’s aggregate rankings of 155 prospects.
- Other prospect rankings: Future Considerations | Bob McKenzie at TSN | NHL Central Scouting (categorized by North American and European-based skaters and goalies)
- NHL’s Draft hub and live draft pick tracker
- 2nd round (57th, from the Travis Hamonic deal, where the Islanders send Calgary this year’s 4th-rounder)
- 5th round: (147th)
- 6th round: (178th)
- 7th round: (209th)
The Islanders’ third-round pick was traded to Edmonton in the Brandon Davidson trade, and their fourth-round pick was swapped to the Calgary Flames as part of the Travis Hamonic trade.