At long last, there is again NHL hockey tonight. One more series to go before awards, the draft and free agency rule the summer.
- Rouyn-Noranda has followed up its QMJHL title with its first Memorial Cup title, which is Islanders prospect Noah Dobson’s second in a row, with two different teams — just the 13th player to do that. [Sportsnet] They’ve also got a post-game, on-ice interview with Dobson, who was a beast throughout the postseason and is going to give the Islanders a tough decision at training camp next fall. He logged well over 30 minutes again.
- According to this report, the Islanders turn their UFA focus to Anders Lee (who may be seeking near $8 million per) and Robin Lehner, while Jordan Eberle is more likely to hit the market. [Fourth Period]
- They’re giving Thomas Greiss’ pokecheck of Sidney Crosby in OT the Isles “Save of the Year.” [Isles]
Hate that a kid gets booed every shift he plays, but Dobson hasn’t let it effect him. So effective in every zone, but this subtle sequence stuck out to me. Little deception and quick soft touch to C. Great support by the Fwds to allow him to make this play. pic.twitter.com/9uERcsbmn1— Kyle MacLennan (@MacLennan28) May 25, 2019
Well, here we are. At long last, the Stanley Cup finals are set to begin tonight in Boston. Even if it’s a short series, it will be lengthy — there are lots of two-day gaps in between games on the schedule. Come on, Gloria.
- Many believe the Blues and Bruins are mirror images of each other. For that to be true, however, I believe some unlucky Blues player’s buttocks must look just like Brad Marchand. [NHL]
- Vladimir Tarasenko sure wouldn’t mind joining his Russian Caps friends in putting his name on the Stanley Cup. [NHL]
- The national media (and maybe you too) are starting to discover what an interview gem Jordan Binnington is. It’s a very sincere non-plussed minimum compliance. [STLtoday]
- Here are 10 mini-battles to look to in the series. [Sportsnet]
- Injury updates: Brad (tool) Marchand and David Krejci are expected to play Game 1, but Vince Dunn is expected to still be out. [NHL]
- Not that a player needs any more motivation in the playoffs, but several Blues keep a diehard fan named Laila close to their thoughts. She’s battling a rare disease that kept her in medical isolation for six months, until she started getting to go to playoff games last round. [STLtoday]
- The Jiggs McDonald of the St. Louis Blues was Dan Kelly, who sadly died way too soon. In terms of hockey announcers, I was spoiled with the best. Dan’s son John does Blues TV now and their radio PBP man Chris Kerber insists he does some calls during the finals. [NHL]
- 30 Thoughts on the finals, attempts to trade Phil Kessel, and more. Friedman says DJ Smith was going to be the Islanders coach last summer before Barry Trotz became available. [Sportsnet]
- Finland repeated as World Championship champions, defeating the favorite Canadians, and surely the TSN broadcasters spent at least a minute or two not talking about how the Finns had no NHLers on their roster. (Surely...?) [IIHF] Russia beat the Czechs for bronze. [IIHF]