The St. Louis Blues finished off the San Jose Sharks last night, flipping the result from their 2016 conference final, and securing a date with the Boston Bruins on Monday, which is Memorial Day in the U.S.
If you’d told me last summer after they added Ryan O’Reilly that this would happen, I’d say “Sure, can totally see it, I assume they figured out the goalie situation too.” If you told me in January when the Blues were last overall, well I’d say it was impossible just like everyone else. Hockey, man.
The Bruins last won the Cup in 2011 and were also in the final in 2013. The Blues haven’t been to the final in 49 years, when they finished a three-year run of making the final out of the league’s “expansion” division.
- Top Isles D prospect Noah Dobson is less stressed this time around at the Memorial Cup. [Sportsnet]
- Dobson and Arnaud Durandeau will face off again in that tourney. [Isles Prospect Report]
- Blues fans are a bit happy. It’s been a long wait. [STL Game Time]
- Craig Berube has been able to get the Blues to bounce back from setbacks. Like hand passes. [TSN]
- Peter DeBoer reflects on the loss. [Sportsnet video]
- The Bruins are dealing with the 10-day layoff by creating “fake” game and such. [Athletic]
- At the Memorial Cup, Guelph eliminated Prince Albert, and awaits the result of a Halifax vs. Rouyn-Noranda grudge match. [Sportsnet]
- Patrick Roy may be a candidate for the Senators coaching gig, but should he be? [TSN] Here’s a broader look at their search. [Silver Seven]
- The Oilers have fired former Islander Duane Sutter from his pro player role, which is very likely the right move after all their terrible evaluations. [Edmonton Journal]
- The Hurricanes would like to keep their goalie tandem of Petr Mrazek and Curtis McElhinney. [NHL]
- Meanwhile, shoulder surgery rehab could keep Calvin de Haan out through the start of next season. [NHL]
- Here are Corey Pronman’s top...107 prospects for the 2019 draft. [Athletic]
- In defense of the Esa Lindell contract. [Defending Big D]
- Revisiting: Could the Lightning fit Erik Karlsson in under the cap? [Raw Charge]