It was an extra day off between Games 2 and 3, so Cal Clutterbuck made the trip to Raleigh where they’ll play the next two games, but the look from practice on Tuesday indicates Michael Dal Colle will step in as the Islander try to avoid a mortal 0-3 hole.
Leave your First Islanders Goal pick for tonight here.
- The Islanders are pleased with how Mathew Barzal has stepped up in the playoffs. [Isles]
- You know who else has played well, but hasn’t got the goals to show it yet? Anders Lee. [LHH]
- For the Isles, down 2-0, the goal is simple: Get the puck on net. [Newsday]
- More on Clutterbuck, hurt near the end of Game 2... [NHL]
- ...and his likely replacement, Dal Colle, who would make his NHL playoff debut, which will likely impact a couple of the line combos. [Newsday | Post]
- Trotz: Their first playoff adversity, and a little anger is okay. “Can’t fix what’s behind you.” Athletic]
- 0-2 deficit? Barry Trotz has been here before and lived to wear a ring about it. [Times]
- If that doesn’t help, they can also look back to Al Arbour’s leadership and teams for inspiration. [Newsday: Mark Herrmann column]
- Robin Lehner is confident in their chances, but you knew that already. [Newsday | Post]
- Lehner’s season and turnaround has earned his fellow players’ respect. [NHLPA]
- And hey there, guy, the move from the Coliseum to Barclays is not the reason that the Islanders have narrowly lost the first two games by a combined 3-1 score. [Post]
- A little more on Stony Brook alum Todd Scarola, who stepped in as the emergency backup in Brooklyn after Petr Mrazek got hurt. [Newsday]
- Overall, the Hurricanes have some encouraging news on the injury front. [Burlington Times News] Young gun Andrei Svechkinov was in normal practice with them yesterday, so he may return.
- Brock McGinn and the view from the Canes. [Charlotte Observer video]
- The Hurricanes diehards of Section 328 welcomed Dan on their podcast to discuss the series so far. [Section 328]
Meanwhile, down on the farm...
In Bridgeport, the Sound Tigers pick through the pieces of a promising season that ended in disappointment. [CT Post]
- In last night’s NHL scores, the Sharks rode a Logan Couture hat trick to take a 2-1 series lead over the Avalanche. And the Blue Jackets held on for a 2-1 win to take a 2-1 series lead over the Bruins. The other game tonight is Blues in Dallas for Game 4.
- “Our best game for sure,” said Matt Duchene, as Columbus embraces dirty Bruins hockey. [THN]
- Back on Carolina for a moment: They dealt their NCAA prospect Adam Fox, who apparently always wanted to play with the Rangers for some reason. It “hurts” but they had to know it was possible after the guy gave the cold shoulder to Calgary, too. [TSN video] And they got a decent return for a kid who was never going to play there. [Canes Country]
- CWHL player AIlish Forfar takes us into the mind of players jolted by that league’s sudden folding and apparent financial insolvency. [Yahoo]
- Congratulations to the Islanders, who broke the Penguins and have them mulling trading Evgeni Malkin. [31 Thoughts]
- What it’s like in a locker room before playoff overtime. [Athletic]
Newsflash! The “reformed” Brad Marchand is still, turns out, a Grade 5 Tool: