The Islanders are the only New York metro area team in this year’s NHL playoffs, so they are drawing the full coverage press from broadcast rights holder MSG Networks, which also holds the rights to the area’s other two NHL teams.
With home games at Nassau Coliseum in the first round, MSG has added a very Coliseum twist: pre-game coverage from the tailgates before each game at the Coliseum (Games 1, 2, and 5 and 7 if necessary), to soak in the unique atmosphere.
Coverage for Wednesday’s opener against the Penguins will start at 6:30 p.m. with the “Ford Islanders Tailgate Live” show. That’s hosted by Shannon Hogan as a 30-minute lead-in for every home game before the network’s official pregame show.
MSG says the show will include interviews with notable Islanders alumni, as well as UFC star and Long Island native Chris Weidman interacting with fans.
Hogan will then host the regular pregame at 7 p.m. with analyst Jennifer Botterill in the studio. Game time is 7:30, and as usual, play-by-play announcer Brendan Burke and Islanders dynasty alumnus Butch Goring will call the game.
The post-game show with Hogan and Botterill will air immediately following the game each night. Analyst AJ Mleczko will also be part of coverage on select nights.
In addition to game coverage, the Islanders will be in the spotlight with short feature segments and replays of some of this season’s best games during the week. All of this will also be available on MSG GO, the live streaming and video-on-demand platform for smartphones, tablets and computers.
Islanders Round 1 Broadcast Schedule on MSG Networks
- Game 1, MSG+: Wednesday, April 10, 7:30 p.m. EDT (pre-games begin at 6:30)
- Game 2, MSG & MSG+: Friday, April 12, 7:30 p.m. EDT (pre-games begin at 6:30)
- Game 3, NBC: Sunday, April 14, noon EDT
- Game 4, MSG & MSG+: Tuesday, April 16, 7:30 p.m. EDT
- Game 5*, MSG & MSG+: Thursday, April 18, time TBD (pre-games begin one hour before)
- Game 6* (TBD): Saturday, April 20, time TBD
- Game 7*, MSG & MSG+: Monday, April 22, time TBD (pre-games begin one hour before)