I have virtually no voice after last night. I’m exhausted. But man, that atmosphere is exhilarating. Mat Barzal and Josh Bailey, baby. My throat hurts!
Barry Trotz’s postgamer:
- Before the game yesterday, the NHL published a piece about the Islanders wanting to make new Coliseum playoff memories; last night was a good start!
- For Mathew Barzal, Devon Toews, and Anthony Beauvillier, this is their first taste of the NHL playoffs, and they were excited to debut. None of them looked lost by any means, and Barzal and Toews seemed to thrive in the spotlight. [Islanders]
- In particular, Barzal seems to elevate his game in these situations. I love having a guy on the team like that. [NY Post]
Hear from the young man himself:
- The decision to put Tom Kuhnhackl in against his old team paid off, even though both of the goals he could’ve scored were disallowed. [NY Post]
- Both goalies played well down the stretch. So Arthur Staple asks the question: how should the Islanders deploy Robin Lehner in front of Thomas Greiss? [The Athletic]
- Anders Lee appreciates the return to the playoffs perhaps more than any other Islander; he was out hurt when the Islanders beat the Panthers in the first round a couple years ago. [Islanders]
- Barry Trotz says that winning a Stanley Cup is an “addicting” feeling; we won’t bring you to rehab just yet, Barry. [Newsday]
- We asked Hooks Orpik from PensBurgh a few questions about how the Penguins are feeling going into this series and who to watch out for. [LHH]
- Some guy around here compared hockey fandom to wearing shoes or something like that. I don’t even know what that guy is talking about! [LHH]
- Play-by-play man Brendan Burke spoke with Newsday about bringing playoff excitement from the booth to your TVs. He’s called national playoff games before, but never Islanders playoffs. [Newsday]
- The fans are savoring the opportunity for the playoffs this season — and doing plenty of tailgating. [CBS NY]
- Playoff history is rife with lessons for the Lightning about sure-things — like, for example, the 1993 Islanders toppling the powerhouse Penguins in the second round. [The Athletic]
- The Sound Tigers called up five players from the ECHL as they prepare for the playoffs, including defenseman David Quenneville. [Sound Tigers]
- They preach a team game following their victory over the Laval Rocket on Wednesday. Kieffer Bellows had the game-winner. [Soundin’ Off | CT Post | Sound Tigers]
Last night’s NHL Playoffs scores include the Blue Jackets rallying from down 3-0 after the first to stun the Lightning in Game 1 4-3; the Stars and Blues snagging Game 1 on the road from the Predators and Jets, respectively; and the Sharks handling the Golden Knights at home.