The New York Islanders are in Columbus with the chance to secure an all-but-clinch result for their playoff hopes while dealing a massive blow to the hosts.
In one sense, it would be amazing if the Blue Jackets miss out after boldly going all in at the trade deadline. In another, it’d be a horrible blow for those of us who like to see general managers make a bold move or two now and then. If this year backfires on the Blue Jackets, the only franchise still yet to win a playoff series, we all lose even if we’re momentarily entertained.
Still, seize the moment, Islanders.
Leave your First Islanders Goal picks for tonight here. Check back later for another Islanders Anxiety podcast, and some quick looks at standout plays from the last few games.
- Tanner Fritz has been good (and speedy!), “adding trust to his game” for Trotz, and can expect to stay in the lineup tonight in the state where he played his college hockey. [Newsday]
- Pretty cool news: Bridgeport will host “Connecticut Ice,” a festival celebrating amateur hockey in the state including round robin with the four major college hockey teams. [Webster Bank Arena]
- Here’s how the festival came together, with major facilitation from SNY and Bridgeport. [CT Post]
- Robin Lehner looks to have regained his rhythm after returning from that Tkachuk crease-crash injury, and he re-iterates how much he appreciates the support of the fans. [Newsday]
- Lehner and Thomas Greiss have been outstanding, as you know, though five shutouts apiece in the same tandem is not as rare as it once was. [THN]
- An updated look on where the Islanders’ four key free agents stand. [Athletic]
- Barry Trotz said the Isles really got back to their game over the weekend. [Post]
- More on AJ Mleczcko’s family bus-turned RV-turned tailgate machine. [Isles]
- Prospect updates from all across the world. [Isles]
- Probably get ready to add one more, Bobo Carpenter, who had a nice showing as an invite to development camp last summer (he also attended Devils camp). [UPDATE: Indeed, his signing was announced this morning, a two-year, two-way ELC beginning next season.]
- Enjoy this hype video for the next Leafs meeting:
Anders Lee is outstanding and here are details on the Fenov Scholarships he has started.
I miss Fenov everyday. If Kancer hadn’t taken him, he’d be finishing up his senior year and heading to college. To honor him, I’m awarding “Fenov Scholarships” to HS seniors who’ve helped someone @jamkancer. Please help spread the word @NYIslanders fans. Details-click link in bio pic.twitter.com/8tsvxFB1YO— Anders Lee (@leeberr09) March 25, 2019
Last night’s NHL scores include the Smurfs doing us no favors by losing to the Penguins. Also, the Devils held off the Sabres and Cory Schneider made 45 saves despite giving up an ugly goal from center ice.
- Travis Hamonic continues to be a fantastic human being. [Flames]
- It sucks to be an Oilers fan. [Edmonton Journal]
- Drew Doughty does not respect Matthew Tkachuk. Like, not at all. [Sportsnet] He also ripped Brent Burns’ defensive play and scoffed at his Norris candidacy. [Athletic | theScore] Sucks to not be on a playoff team I guess?
- Meanwhile, Ilya Kovalchuk has been a healthy scratch, so he...stayed home from the road trip, getting more practice time than morning skates provide and offering time for ice cream with the family. [Athletic]
- Blake Coleman takes too many penalties. [AATJ]
- The Flyers signed Joel Farabee to his ELC, part of the exodus from BU. [Flyers]
- White hockey sticks are in demand again. (Oh, how I relied on that classic Titan back in the wood days.) [Japers’ Rink]