The Islanders are in Montreal tonight because the schedule says so.
They’re looking to repeat their performance against the Canadiens this time last week in Uniondale and erase any memory of Tuesday’s beating at the hands of the Bruins, also in Uniondale. FIGs go here, folks. 7:30 puck drop this evening.
Also, keep your eyes (or, more accurately, ears) open for a new Islanders Anxiety dropping today.
- The other night, Valtteri Filppula and Cal Clutterbuck left the game with injuries. Clutterbuck is ostensibly okay, but Filppula is going to miss four weeks with an upper body issue. Tanner Fritz, a center, was recalled. Jordan Eberle is also day-to-day with an upper body injury. [LHH | Newsday | Islanders on Filppula injury | Islanders on Fritz call-up]
- The Islanders are embracing the “next man up” mentality and know they must replace Filppula by committee. [Islanders]
Happy birthday? More like Crappy Birthday yesterday for Filppula, I’d say (it was also Nick Leddy’s birthday):
- A preview of tonight’s game in the habitat of Les Habitants. [Islanders]
- Carey makes the case for — and against — re-signing captain Anders Lee. [LHH]
- Arthur Staple hosted a live Q&A on The Athletic and got plenty of questions about Josh Ho-Sang, but only sees him coming up if Eberle is out long-term.
- Fritz being up with the big club re-shuffled the lines for Bridgeport’s game against the Toronto Marlies. The Sound Tigers went on to lose 2-1 in OT. [Soundin’ Off pregame | Sound Tigers postgame]
Last night’s NHL scores include the Capitals throwing close to 60(!) shots at Lightning goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy and still losing in OT — Tampa didn’t have their best showing, but both teams look like buzzsaws going into the postseason, and the Capitals are able to extend their division lead by an extra point.
- The Sharks became the third team in the NHL to clinch a playoff berth the other night. They put themselves in that position, of course, but much like the Flames a few days ago, a loss for the Wild clinched it. [NHL]
- Goalie Jimmy Howard signed a one-year extension to stay with the Red Wings next season. [NHL]
- No Islanders tidbits today, but Elliotte Friedman’s 31 Thoughts is always a must-read. The big story: seems to be some trouble brewing in paradise between Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock and GM Kyle Dubas.
- Former Sabres and Rangers center Chris Drury was named the GM of the U.S. Men’s National Team for 2019. [USA Hockey]