Folks, that game was so good that I overslept. I was late to work and forgot to write these Bits for you. My sincerest apologies for my tardiness.
On the bright side, with the Islanders now 8 points up on the second wild card, the Islanders are virtual locks to qualify for the playoffs. Am I too greedy to ask for home ice still?
The coach speaks:
- Last night’s game was a perfect example of how critical the fourth line is to the Islanders’ success. [Newsday]
- Now that the Islanders “Core Four” defensemen have grown into their skill, Nick Leddy may be expendable in the right package. [The Athletic]
- Barry Trotz was once thought to be a shoo-in for the Jack Adams, but the field has grown. [THN]
Trotz would pick Lightning coach Jon Cooper for the award:
Insider Trading: Cooper is Trotz's choice for coach of year. pic.twitter.com/lCd8TxTPol— TSN (@TSN_Sports) March 14, 2019
- Speaking of legendary non-playing hockey folks, PTIsles appreciates Bill Torrey with Jiggs McDonald.
- Check out the Islanders Fan Hub on MSG for a chance to win “cool stuff.” [MSG]
- Bob McKenzie has the latest on Jon Cooper, whose contract with the Lightning expires this season, and whether or not an extension has been discussed. [Nichols on Hockey]
- The Sharks’ Radim Simek will have surgery to repair his knee, likely ending his season. [Fear the Fin]
- The scouts are pleased with the earlier Draft Lottery. [THN]
- Why, exactly, is Keith Gretzky qualified to be an NHL GM? [C&B]
- Both the NWHL and CWHL want to merge into one league, and the NHL may help them out. [ESPN]
- Magic occurred on ice in this minor league game between the Manitoba Moose and Texas Stars. [Deadspin]
- Did you know: at one point the Los Angeles Lakers explored leaving the Staples Center to return to the LA Forum? [LA Times]