Last night the Islanders got right back on the winning or points-accumulating track, after a one-game hiatus. It wasn’t pretty, they were by no means in control of the game, and it could’ve easily been a regulation loss instead of a 2-1 Josh Bailey shootout winner.
But they don’t ask how*, they ask how many. In this instance, it was two points.
*Actually many DO ask how, and it’s kind of a founding mission of this site, but still...
- About last night: The NHL story helpfully points out it was Cory Schneider’s 19th consecutive loss, which is just mean. B.C. native (and tying goalscorer on a sick speed deke) Mathew Barzal was glad Schneider is back healthy and in form though. [LHH | NHL | Isles | Newsday | AATJ | Post]
- No update on Cal Clutterbuck, who left the game with an injury. Also: Hickey quotes, and Michael Dal Colle on his very important year. [Post]
- Dan S. and Mike talked about how the Islanders have tortured gamblers this year, among other things on the Islanders Anxiety podcast. [LHH]
- And Isles Buzz reacted to the Bruins loss, line changes, Josh Bailey, and any trade targets on the Kings. Don’t forget they’ll have a live show March 16 at Offside Tavern. [SoundCloud]
- NHL Network’s EJ Hradek on the Isle Seat Podcast [SoundCloud]
- Look at all these rumors / surrounding me every day / just need some time, some time to get away. Oliver Wahlstrom is surrounded by rumors (of whether he’ll stay in NCAA) and expectations, but coach and dad both say he’s dealing just fine. [Athletic]
- I didn’t realize Lou Lamoriello ever allowed this, but yesterday IR players Thomas Hickey and Andrew Ladd were allowed to speak with media. [Isles]
Barry Trotz talked about the game, the power play, and how goalies have benefited from “our Goaltending Department”:
Heading back home with 2⃣points!— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) February 8, 2019
Trotz breaks down tonight's effort: pic.twitter.com/9wFeAmfYME
#Isles Mathew Barzal grew up in British Columbia, watching Cory Schneider while he was with the Canucks. Barzal told me: "He was definitely playing like the old Cory Schneider...I'm happy we won but it's nice to see him get back on track a little bit."— Andrew Gross (@AGrossNewsday) February 8, 2019
Final 5v5 #Isles at #NJDevils— Carey Haber (@habermetrics) February 8, 2019
Via NST (SV Adjusted)
Isles 52.37% Attempts
Isles 60.82% Scoring Chances
Isles 56.99% High Danger Chances
Devils 52.16% Expected Goals
Not thrilled with the underlying performance against a weak team, but road points are good points.
Last night’s NHL scores include a whole ton of extra-time games, with the Capitals and Hurricanes among the winners, the Penguins and Flyers among the extra-time losers. (Also: the Blues avenged the Islanders by handing the Lightning a 1-0 OT loss.)
- Lots of trade buzz, including perhaps the Predators considering further moves. [NHL]
- Evidently Howie Rose and Stephane Matteau have been texting each other all this time. [Newsday]
- The question of whether the Rangers should trade Kevin Hayes. [NHL]
- The Oilers have committed to Mikko Koskinen, but keep playing pending UFA Cam Talbot. [Copper N Blue]
- It’s time for the Devils to start (or rather continue) selling. [All About The Jersey]
- Has Carter Hart solved the Flyers’ decades-long goalie troubles? (Also: How good is Blake Coleman? ... when not wasting time trying to disrupt Barzal, perhaps) [ESPN]
- A bunch of Maple Leafs rode the subway in pajamas, er I mean in full gear on the way to an outdoor practice. I’ve been on some stinky subway rides but that one had to take the cake. [NHL]
- One of those things I’d never thought of but certainly should have: Interviewing the boxcover artist for the old pre-EA game, Blades of Steel. (Difficult to describe to you youngsters how realistic this game felt at the time — at least in the sense that the players looked like players rather than dots or cartoons — but was still hilariously stiff. The best part was you got an extra penalty if you lost a fight.) [Puck Junk]