For a little while Wednesday night in Calgary, despite a really flat effort, it looked like the Islanders might pull yet another rabbit victory out of an 0-2 hat for the sixth time this season. Instead, after the Isles erased an 0-2 deficit, the Flames got two quick-strike goals in the third period to create a 4-2 victory.
But I do want to mention (again) that Barry Trotz said (again) that the Islanders “had too many passengers” while grading the Islanders “an absolute F.” Because for all of Jack Capuano’s flaws, using the ol’ “passengers” term after losses was hardly unique to him among NHL coaches, though it drew hyper-ire from many fans. (Yes, we made a t-shirt referencing it, but that was for Cappy’s favorite phrases.) Anyway, some fans put way too much emphasis on Capuano’s lingo (he talked a lot about “structure” too, remember); right now we are spoiled by Trotz’s articulate and expansive answers — and results — but even he knows a passenger (or two) when he sees one.
Regardless, no rest for the Western travelers. The Isles are in Edmonton for a game with the Oilers tonight. Leave your FIG picks for that one here. Hopefully Mathew Barzal isn’t too banged up after some awkward crashes.
- About last night: [LHH | Newsday | Isles | NHL | Matchsticks & Gasoline | NYI Skinny]
- Andrew Ladd and Thomas Hickey are still on IR for now (and you wonder if at least one will remain so until after the trade deadline), but they’re itching to play. [Newsday]
- Because of their surprising success and the UFAs they now would not want to trade, the Islanders are an interesting trade deadline team to watch. [THN]
- More from Rob Schremp on why he tweeted that thing about Tavares, and reactions from former teammates like Thomas Hickey who say it’s hogwash. [Sportsnet | Yahoo | London Free Press]
- Excellent dude Kelly Hrudey recalls his trade from the Islanders to the Kings for Mark FItzpatrick, Wayne McBean and future considerations 30 years ago, which first angered him but quickly became an outstanding move for him. The Kings took care of him and his wife as they prepared to have their first child. [Kings] (More in this old Times story from the time.)
- Nearing the end of a seven-game road trip, Worcester loses in Manchester, though David Quenneville scored. [Railers HC]
- Barclays Center appears to be unprofitable — an arena, claiming a loss? — but will the Islanders leaving reduce the losses? [Crain’s]
- An overview of tonight’s opponent. 2015 draft wounds still sting. [Sun]
Last night’s NHL scores include a bunch of Western games that don’t impact the Isles.
- Charlie Coyle is finally being traded, to the Bruins as of reports last night. [NHL]
- Forecasting how the Kings will handle the trade deadline. [Mayor’s Manor]
- Radko Gudas was suspended (again) two games for chopping Nikita Kucherov over the head, which is against the rules. [BSH | NHL]
- The Blues are on a franchise-record 11-game win streak, which has meant a whole lot of “Gloria.” [NHL]
- The Sharks struggled early, but Peter DeBoer stayed the course and they are surging now. [Athletic]