They laid down a turd the other night against a desperate team in Buffalo, but that kinda loss is gonna happen from time to time. The important thing is that it’s more of an isolated event and not a trend, but I have little doubt that will be the case.
Tonight is a much more important game on the road playing the Columbus Blue Jackets, who, like the Washington Capitals, are hot on the Islanders’ tails. Your FIG picks for tonight’s game can land right here. And Happy Valentine’s Day to all of you.
Since we have eleven-and-a-half hours until puck drop, we could use some entertainment. Sure, we’ve got the actual Bits, which you should definitely always read. UPDATE: And there’s a new Islanders Anxiety on the way later this morning. But here’s a little something special, that shot of Jameson, for your morning coffee:
McKenzie: “Nothing official on this just yet, but I’m starting to get the sense - I’m starting to get the feel - that all playoff games at Uniondale is not at all out of the question.” #Isles NBCSN— Chris Nichols (@NicholsOnHockey) February 14, 2019
- We recently linked to an Arthur Staple piece in which he examined potential trade targets for the Islanders; yesterday, he published an amended list as the market starts to set itself and the team’s needs become clearer. [The Athletic]
- There’s only one Isles mention in this week’s edition of Elliotte Friedman’s 31 Thoughts, and it wasn’t even in one of the Thoughts. It was in the introduction, but it’s a big one: the Islanders are one of four sure-fire “big-game hunters for rentals” in the NHL. Salivate at your own peril.
- LATE ADDITION: Perhaps Lou is on the hunt for some power play help; as Carey outlines, it seems to be a lack of talent. [LHH]
- The Railers dealt popular forward Woody Hudson to the Indy Fuel for defenseman Robert Powers. [Telegram]
- Former Islanders first-rounder and player Sean Bergenheim has announced his candidacy for Finnish Parliament, because why not? [The Athletic]
Last night’s NHL scores include Sidney Crosby asserting his dominance once again over Connor McDavid as the Penguins defeated the Oilers - both generational talents had an assist. McDavid has never beaten Crosby in an NHL game.
- Despite all the tumult surrounding tonight’s opponent, forward Cam Atkinson, who just played in his 500th NHL game and has 31 goals this season, is fully invested in the present and future of the Blue Jackets and believes that they can compete this year. [NHL]
- The St. Louis Blues have undergone a stunning turnaround from what they looked like at the beginning of the season, winning nonstop and looking like a juggernaut in doing so. Here are 5 reasons why. [SLGT]
- Shayne Gostisbehere’s name keeps popping up in trade rumors, but should the Flyers trade him? BSH weighs in.
- Evgeni Malkin is having a weird season: productive, but down a bit for him, and he seems... off. [PensBurgh]
- The Lightning are nearly flawless as a hockey team, but the one area that could really use an improvement is the guy that lines up with Victor Hedman. Right now, it’s Dan Girardi, and he sucks. So much so that I actually forgot he was on Tampa Bay, because they’re amazing and he’s amazingly bad.
- The Maple Leaf Gardens building has been replaced by a supermarket and a college facility, but the history and nostalgia are still there - no, seriously, there is a large red dot painted on the floor of the supermarket where the center ice dot used to be. [NHL]