Did last night feel really weird to you? Granted, I’m still pinching myself at the Islanders’ first-place position and nightly robotic discipline...but at the same time it feels shocking to see a regulation loss, and by more than a goal.
Two regulation losses in five games, what is this madness?!
Of course it was close all night, until a late insurance marker — and even after that, Nick Leddy’s crossbar shot nearly brought them right back to a goal down — so easily filed under: Win some, lose some. Though Barry Trotz (see his post-gamer below) felt they tried to “play cute” and “had a lot of passengers” (Hey, remember when so many of y’all acted like that was a phrase only Cappy uses?) but assumes the performance was an outlier.
- About last night: Jenny drew the firewatching duties, opining, “If you didn’t see this one live, you didn’t miss a lot.” Especially the first two periods. [LHH | Newsday | NHL | Isles | Die By The Blade | NYI Skinny]
- Now matter how the rest of this goes, the Islanders are already on track to make some history with their defensive performance and their record in back-to-backs. [NBC Sports]
- UFA-to-be Brock Nelson expects to survive the trade deadline, but of course no one knows what Lou Lamoriello really has in mind. [Newsday]
- Bridgeport Report: A gutsy, victorious weekend. [Sound Tigers]
- Using horse racing news to deduce that the Islanders arena at Belmont is a sure thing. Also: Ratner having concrete poured in the Coliseum executive toilets? [Horse Racing Insider]
Final #NYIvsBUF 5v5 Metrics (3-1 BUF)— Carey Haber (@habermetrics) February 13, 2019
Via Natural Stat Trick (Score-Venue Adj.)
Isles 54.8% Attempts
Isles 56.8% Scoring Chances
Isles 60.06% High Danger
Isles 55.52% Expected Goals
I call it the #ReversePDO
- The Sharks have been on an Islanders-esque run, surging to a position of control at the top of the West. [NBC Sports]
- Evgeni Malkin was suspended one game for his wild stick swing. [NHL]
- Corey Crawford says he is better from concussion issues, but not sure when he’ll return. [Second City Hockey]
- On the Canucks’ unending quest for a third goalie — including tossing in an unprepared junior goalie on an emergency basis — and one crazy undrafted rookie debut. [Athletic]
- Five Questions With: Wayne Simmonds. [NHL]
- These are contracts that have haunted the Rangers. [Blueshirt Banter]
- Brett Connolly is having another career year. [Japers’ Rink]
- Eddie Olczyk shares how he learned of a few of the times he was traded, and one of them is a classic. [Athletic]
- Sens fans are getting restless with Guy Boucher, but bringing him back this season was always an obvious stopgap move. [Silver Seven]