The New York Islanders are in Buffalo tonight, where old friend Kyle Okposo has really struggled with the Sabres this season. Check on the opposition — and their patience — at Die By The Blade.
Leave your FIG Picks here.
- Prospect Report! Ruslan Iskhakov had a four-point week, Noah Dobson is on a point streak, Oliver Wahlstrom will play for Beanpot title. [Isles]
- The Islanders sit atop their division, but are trying to maintain a “hunter” mentality. [Newsday]
- Under Barry Trotz, the Islanders are totally into getting the lead, and protecting it. [Athletic]
- Carey Haber talks Islanders hockey. [Hockey Night in NY podcast]
- Isles ticket prices are soaring on the resale market. [Newsday]
- Sooooo...big game on the 28th, yes? Anyone fancy an LHH meetup? Discuss here.
- Evidently the Islanders don’t get much air on sports radio (to which I wonder...who listens to sports talk radio anymore?!) [Eyes on Isles]
- Pajamas Robot says that game will be like any other game except not. [Islanders Insight | Newsday]
- Ol’ Carp Lad is helping his hometown with a brewery. [NHL]
- Who’s a good dog? Radar’s a good dog. [Isles]
You can make Lou in charge of all hockey operations, but you can’t keep Jon Ledecky from having a little more fun with fans on the LIRR. H/T to Eddie Westfall for playing along:
“Who’s your favorite player? Ed Westfall? Well say hello to Ed!”— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) February 11, 2019
This #Isles fan got the surprise of a lifetime on the @LIRR when she ran into Islanders co-owner Jon Ledecky on the train to the game! pic.twitter.com/ucBJsjRqGR
Last night’s NHL scores include regulation wins for the Penguins and Capitals.
- Evgeni Malkin swung his stick at a guy, so he’ll have a league hearing. That’s a no-no. [NHL]
- The Oilers? They’re probably not so good. [Copper N Blue] The culture problem starts with the ownership, many say. [Oilers Rig] They are wasting Connor McDavid. [TSN]
- Claude Julien wanted a new fourth line and Marc Bergevin is getting it for him. The latest is acquiring ex-Isle Nate Thompson. [HEOTP | NHL]
- Bob Murray took over the Ducks coaching reins because he hopes that will expose him to the problems the team faces. (Pssstt...it’s the contracts you signed, dude.) [NHL]
- Scott Darling is taking a leave of absence from the Canes organization to get his head right. [News & Observer]
- Is Jonathan Huberdeau the next trade bait candidate as the Panthers eye an off-season UFA push? [TSN]
- The Ducks owners have written to fans to reassure them. [Anaheim Calling]
- Joel Ward has retired. [RMNB]
- Covering the sled hockey classic. [NHL]
- News flash: Fewer fights mean fewer injuries due to fists punching brains. [THN]