They played pretty well last night, but the Islanders mostly couldn’t solve Ben Bishop and let the Stars have a couple of grade-A opportunities, including a couple power plays, that their talented offense converted. The unfortunate thing is that New York didn’t come away with any points.
Onward and upward. Though, geographically, Tampa is south of Dallas, I think? Team wise, the Lightning, who have mostly struggled to regain their form from last season, whooped the Sharks to the tune of 7-1 on home ice last night to help them get back in shape. So the Islanders will need to bring their best to beat them.
Barry Trotz liked the Islanders’ game tonight, aside from special teams:
“At the end of the day it was the two power-play goals. They have a good hockey team. It was a well-played game.” - Barry Trotz pic.twitter.com/pguty2VSrr— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) December 8, 2019
- Devon Toews made his NHL debut in Dallas just under a year ago and the Islanders won that game. This trip back wasn’t as special for him with the loss. [Newsday]
Since he joined the team last year in Dallas, there’s been no team better (this was entering play yesterday):
#NHL standings since Devon Toews debuted the last time #Isles were in Dallas (12/23/18) - he has played every game in that stretch. #Isles in Big D tonite on MSG+2 with pre-game at 8:30. Late start due to NBA game in Dallas this afternoon. pic.twitter.com/M2iMMzWq1n— Eric Hornick (@ehornick) December 7, 2019
- Ross Johnston emulates Anders Lee when he goes out there on the top line. By the end of the game, Trotz had Johnston out with Casey Cizikas and Cal Clutterbuck, so the experiment with Mathew Barzal might be over now. [Newsday]
- The Sound Tigers traveled up to Syracuse yesterday to play the Lightning’s affiliate, the Crunch, and they got whacked 5-2. Alex Volkov, whom we linked a story about this week, had four points for Syracuse. [Soundin’ Off pregame | Sound Tigers post game]
When the Islanders’ broadcast crew flew to Dallas, Butch Goring encountered a fan:
Last night’s NHL scores include the Bruins getting their first home regulation loss to the Avalanche and Sergei Bobrovksy shutting down his former team as the Panthers beat the Blue Jackets. Also, the Flyers, Penguins, and Hurricanes all got regulation wins.
- It was Star Wars Night at the Carolina game, so their Storm Surge featured a lightsaber battle. [NHL]
- At the end of that Flyers game, Brady Tkachuk, of the opposing Senators, cross-checked Scott Laughton hard and got fined the maximum amount for it. [Sportsnet]
- Vancouver won a wild thriller over the Sabres 6-5 in OT, and they were wearing their Flying V jerseys as they honored the 1982 Canucks. What happened to them, again? [NHL]
- Alex Ovechkin jokes that as soon as he breaks Wayne Gretzky’s goal record, he’s out of here. Come on man, at that point, 900 is only five away! [NHL]