The Golden Knights are in town tonight to play the Islanders at the Coliseum. I believe this is Vegas’s first trip to the Coliseum; the past two seasons, I’m pretty sure they visited the Barclays Center. So this should be an exciting trip for them. Although I’m sure some of the guys that make up the expansion roster have played at the Coliseum.
Let’s preview the damn thing, shall we?
Even though it’s only for a game, the road-weary Isles are happy to be home. [Newsday]
Some pretty elite company that Mathew Barzal is in:
Most points through first 100 career games played (last 20 years)— /Cam Robinson/ (@Hockey_Robinson) December 4, 2019
P. Kane 96
- As the games unfold, it’s become clear there’s a gaping hole at 3C. What are some options, internal and external, simple and complex, to fill that hole? [The Athletic]
- The Islanders “fell” to no. 3 in ESPN’s power rankings. Not bad after a pretty rough week.
- LISTEN: Noel and Dan P. wind down the 2010s with the top ten Islanders moments of the decade. [LHH]
- LISTEN: While we’re feeling nostalgic, enjoy Dan Saraceni reliving Michael Peca’s Selke winning season in 2002, his first on Long Island. [LHH]
- The Islanders team store has new fisherman-logo hats available just in time for the holidays. Are they priming us for fisherman alternates? Are we really doing this?
Last night’s NHL scores include the Penguins shutting out the Blues and the Capitals topping the Kings in regulation. Damn Metro Division. Also, Nazem Kadri got his revenge as the Avalanche beat the Maple Leafs in his return to Toronto.
- Artemi Panarin returns to Columbus tonight for the first time since leaving the Blue Jackets for the Rangers. Wonder if he gets the “John Tavares back on Long Island” treatment. [The Athletic]
- Speaking of stars leaving franchises, what do NHL executives think will happen with Taylor Hall? [The Athletic]
- Elliotte Friedman’s 31 Thoughts seemingly confirms that the NHL is bringing in a “Code of Conduct” of sorts in which teams stop dealing with things internally, like Ron Francis, then-GM of the Hurricanes, did with Bill Peters after he kicked Michal Jordan and punched another player.
- Robin Lehner has some extensive thoughts on all the things coming out around the hockey world. [The Athletic]
- Depth center Nick Shore was waived by the Leafs on Tuesday; he was claimed by the Jets on Wednesday. [NHL]
- Interesting interview, originally conducted in Russian with Sport24 and translated by Igor Nikonov at Raw Charge, with Lightning prospect/rookie Alex Volkov about his NHL debut and his friendship with Nikita Kucherov.
- A really cool guide to buying the extreme sports fan in your life the extremely obscure sports gifts he or she wants. [Uni Watch]