The Islanders host the Sabres this afternoon in a 1:00 p.m. matinee game. Last time these two met, it was in Buffalo and Semyon Varlamov shut them out 1-0. The rotation dictates he’d be up again today. Hmm!
It’s also Star Wars Day at the Coliseum.
I wish this was an evening game so that I could attend, but I will have to settle for streaming it on my computer from school. What did people do before the Internet?
- Let’s preview this thing right here.
- This is a version of Walt Whitman’s poem, O Captain! My Captain!, adapted for Islanders captain Anders Lee. [Islanders Insight]
- Lee is producing again as the Islanders return to their winning ways. [Newsday]
- Ross Johnston really has worked hard on developing his game and is being rewarded for it with top-line duty. [Islanders]
- The Sound Tigers beat Utica, 4-1, with Kieffer Bellows scoring for the fifth time in his last seven games. [Sound Tigers]
- Lou Lamoriello has yet to make any decisions on potential Islander loans for World Juniors. Don’t think Noah Dobson will be going anywhere, though. [Newsday]
- It’s always good to check yourself: at the beginning of the season, Arthur Staple made ten bold Islanders predictions. How’s he doing so far? [The Athletic]
- Stan Fischler brings you 19 of his favorite Islanders quotes of all-time. [Maven’s Memories]
Billy Smith celebrated his 69th (nice) birthday on Thursday, and here’s one of the best interviews ever given:
- Taylor Hall was not in the lineup for New Jersey, though, despite taking warm-ups. Sounds like a deal will probably get done in the next couple days. The insiders are hearing Colorado (where the Devils were last night), the Coyotes (the Devils are in Arizona tonight), and the Blues, but the mysterious silence does have Lou written all over it... I’m reaching for the stars here. [Sportsnet]
- The Flyers’ Oskar Lindblom will likely be out the rest of the season as he deals with Ewing’s sarcoma, a form of bone cancer. Prayers up for Oskar. [NHL]
- Tucker Tynan, a goalie for the OHL Niagara IceDogs, suffered a nasty leg injury the other night—bad enough to cancel the game—but it sounds like the surgery to repair it was successful. Prayers up for Tucker, too. [NBC Sports]
- Zach Bogosian was a healthy scratch for the first time in his career the other night and might be again this afternoon. He has reportedly requested a trade from the Sabres. [NHL]
- Can Alex Ovechkin name the 20 goalies he’s scored on the most? [The Athletic]