The New York Islanders completed the season sweep of the Florida Panthers and a sweep of the Florida section of their three-game southern road trip. That makes the first time in history that an Islanders team has won 21 of its first 30 games.
They return home now, but their busy December does not let up: Next game is early Saturday afternoon vs. the Sabres at the Coliseum.
- About last night: A sweet end to a difficult road trip. [LHH | Newsday | Isles | Hornick’s Skinny]
- Any concern that last year’s blossom under Barry Trotz by Brock Nelson can be assuaged, as he’s picked up right where he left off. [Isles Blog]
- “If a request is made,” the Islanders will consider loaning World Junior Championship-eligible players to national team squad this month. But no decisions yet. [Newsday]
- On that note, touching base with some of the youngest prospects in Bridgeport. [Athletic]
- Ross Johnston is enjoying his time on the top line — and let it never be overlooked that the man has steadily worked on his game since first entering the organization. [Isles]
- The Islanders wives and girlfriends enjoy some gift sharing in their annual “Adopt a Family” effort. [Isles]
Trotz on tonight's win against the Panthers: pic.twitter.com/r4cw36tjrU— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) December 13, 2019
Like this question - it's #Skinny-worthy! Lee is the first #Isles captain with a Gordie Howe Hat Trick since Denis Potvin 1-30-86 vs Philly at the Coliseum. Extra credit to Denis for fighting a Sutter (Rich). Brent Sutter had one after that but before he was the captain. https://t.co/wyi4xzKVwg— Eric Hornick (@ehornick) December 13, 2019
It’s Friday morning and:
IT HAS BEEN  DAY
SINCE THE LAST
WORKPLACE COACHING CHANGE
Last night’s NHL scores included the Sharks falling to the Rangers in Bob Boughner’s debut as San Jose head coach, the Red Wings snapping their winless streak, and Jack Eichel extending his points streak to 15 in a Sabres win over Nashville.
- You know who’s enjoying the Sharks’ struggles? The Ottawa Senators, who hold their first-round pick. (Warning: Column actually takes a long time to say very little.) [Sportsnet]
- Capitals owner Ted Leonsis is confident both Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom want to complete their careers as Capitals. [NHL]
- Damn: Calvin de Haan’s shoulder issues strike again, he’s on IR after an awkward fall following a (penalized for interference) hit. [Second City Hockey]
- The mid-season coaching change: Sometimes it’s all a GM’s got. [Athletic]
- Well-traveled former Islanders coach Rick Bowness is ready to jump on his latest chance in Dallas. [Athletic]
- Tee hee: “The Leafs had started on time, composed, and saw Mitch Marner score his first in 40 days. Then, they walked out of the dressing room following the second intermission to face a different kind of beast.” [Sportsnet]
- Retired Bruins goalie, Islanders legend and Bull Moose Party candidate Tim Thomas discussed post-concussion issues as he reconnected with the Bruins. [AP]