The New York Islanders had a somewhat rare off-day Tuesday, as a likewise-rare two days between games gave them a chance for the — yes, rare — practice today.
That was the theme coming into today, as they practice ahead of Thursday’s tilt with the Florida Panthers: During a busy game schedule with lots of travel (there’s only one other two-day gap between games this month outside of the Christmas break), squeezing in a proper practice is a coaching luxury.
So anyway, the Islanders will squeeze in a practice today. [Newsday]
If you only know Jamie MacLennan as a broadcaster, you may not realize he had a multi-team NHL career that started with the Islanders — and their affiliates from “Capital District” to Worcester to out West in Denver and Salt Lake. [Isles Alumni Corner]
MOAR podcasts: For the Athletic, Arthur Staple and Mark Parrish on Varlamov, trade options and yesterday’s shocking NHL news in Dallas. [Athletic]
And on Andrew Gross’ Island Ice podcast, Blake Comeau and Andrew’s answers. [Newsday]
Last night’s NHL scores included Monday’s Isles’ victims, the Lightning, defeating the Panthers in the rather poorly attended Battle of Florida, and the Penguins losing in regulation to the Canadiens.
- The big news yesterday was the surging Stars suddenly firing coach Jim Montgomery, due to “unprofessional conduct” unrelated to and pre-dating the league’s push for a code of conduct. [Defending Big D]
- His replacement? The ageless former Islander coach Rick Bowness. [Stars]
- The Stars pledge to “rally together” as they “move forward” under Bowness.
There have been 4 coaching changes in the NHL since the Detroit Red Wings last won a game— Dimitri Filipovic (@DimFilipovic) December 11, 2019
Some ugly looking injuries last night:
This is the Malkin hook or whatever you want to call it that sent Peca to the locker room. pic.twitter.com/7vBcsCSqng— Scott Matla (@scottmatla) December 11, 2019
More stuff from the Board of Governors meetings:
- The NHL and NHLPA are (again) working on some sort of World Cup of Hockey (again) to finally happen (again) one of these years. [NHL]
- Also, the salary cap should increase next season, but by how much? It depends. [TSN]
- Brendan Shanahan, who was a practicer of some, ahem, unprofessional conduct as a player and teammate, discusses recent stories about Mike Babcock and reminds us #notallcoaches. [TSN | Sportsnet | Athletic] “I think that obviously we have all come from a generation where there are certain things that have occurred, and occurred to us, and occurred to us as players that you just sort of accepted. I think that we all have to do a better job...”
- NOT SATIRE: “Never too early for the Rangers to think playoffs.” [Newsday]