My favorite part of last night, other than the New York Islanders making a tight game suddenly very comfortable in the third period, was the intermission interview with Claire Arbour, aired on MSG.
MSG will probably share it on Twitter and on their site, but if you missed it: She talked about watching the Islanders every night, she spoke of how much she likes Barry Trotz — she didn’t say this, but there are clearly shades of her late husband in how Trotz handles players and builds trust with them — and she recalled the days when she was a Blues player’s wife one day (Arbour was captain of the Blues at the end of his career)...and then a coach’s wife the next. Awkward, but she made do.
The interview could have gone on and on with Shannon Hogan, but TV time limits are strict. Suffice to say, it was a nice, quick window into a cherished part of Islanders history that is still very connected to the present. Thanks to Claire for doing it and Shannon for handling it...those little moments are priceless.
About last night: Take it away, Barry...
"I liked a lot about our game. It was a really good team win. Our compete level through the lineup was very good." - Barry Trotz pic.twitter.com/ZYu1vUfT7Z— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) December 10, 2019
- Recaps from Steve here and the rest of the sphere [LHH | Newsday | Isles | NHL | Raw Charge]
- Nick Leddy’s injury meant an opportunity for Noah Dobson. Betting here is he’ll run with it. [Newsday]
- Part of the win last night? The penalty kill, which they have turned into a strength. [Athletic]
- A four-goal third period sunk the Sound Tigers. [Sound Tigers]
- Scott Mayfield has been picking up the offense. [Islanders]
- In the latest Islanders Anxiety, Mike recalls his trip to Montreal for the Islanders game among the NHL’s last two dynasties, and they discuss insight into Mathew Barzal and whether any moves are afoot. [LHH Podcasts]
- A couple of Islanders draft picks, Jake Pivonka and Christian Krygier, are on the preliminary roster for the USA World Juniors team. [Islanders]
- And more on pipeline’s best in the Prospect Report. [Islanders]
Last night’s other NHL scores included the Blue Jackets beating the Capitals in regulation and Anders Nilsson, of all goalies, stopping the Bruins.
- Big statement from Gary Bettman and the league on what they say will be a new day of conduct training and standards for coaching staffs and other team employees. [NHL] More on the board of governors meetings that focused on this issue. [TSN | Athletic]
- Our man Leboff on some sleeper picks for the Stanley Cup. [Action Network]
- The apple, it falls not far from the tree. [NHL]
- The Canadiens broke their tailspin in the win over the Isles, but Shea Weber knows it can turn south again in a hurry. [TSN]
- Concerning injuries to some key Avalanche players. [NHL]
- The Seattle expansion team “could” unveil its logo in February. [NHL]
- Even for a team that expected to be bad...everything has gone wrong for the Red Wings. [TSN]