Mike and Dan marvel at the Islanders’ 10 game winning streak, and all the stats and meaning that comes along with it.
They discuss the feeling of watching such a unique event and examine some of the cool and crazy numbers associated with it. Later, they talk about how the team has gotten the respect of other coaches around the league, and how “doing things our way” has taken on a whole new meaning for the franchise.
Finally, they shout out some fans from overseas who have found their way to “the last team on the totem pole.”
Check out our previous episode this week, celebrating 100 episodes of Islanders Anxiety.
- Anders Lee talks to ESPN’s Emily Kaplan about the Islanders’ start and what makes the team tick.
- Here’s the Cal Clutterbuck quote Dan mentions, via Andrew Gross:
“I think it says that after four extremely mediocre games to the start of the year, it was time for us to kind of look at each other and look in the mirror and decide whether we wanted to give this a go or not.”
- Some interesting numbers behind the streak from NBC Sports.
- Arthur Staple gathers some analytical Athletic writers to talk about the team’s (then) nine-game streak.
- Make sure to follow @LhhPodcasts on Twitter for all Lighthouse Hockey audio releases, news and announcements.
- Remember: We need your calls for the My Favorite Islanders Game podcast. The number to call is mentioned in this episode. So drop us a message and tell us the story of your favorite Islanders game experience. Lines are always open. Thanks to everyone who called in for our first episode, as well as everyone who listened.
- Our sponsor this season is VintageIceHockey.com, where you can buy shirts, hoodies and mugs featuring logos and colors of over 100 classic hockey teams. Each top quality item is shipped fast, and the product pages have trivia notes you can get lost in. Use the code LIGHTHOUSE15 at checkout to save 15% on your order.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show's profile and maybe could get us a fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Opening theme song: "Sports" by Josh Spacek.
Closing theme song: “Force Ten” by Rush
You can subscribe to Islanders Anxiety in any podcast app. Use either the app’s search function or enter our RSS feed.
Hosting for SB Nation podcasts is provided by Megaphone.