Happy Thanksgiving, LHH. Hope it was a happy and healthy one.
The Islanders have started a new streak, a losing streak, as their California trip didn’t go so well. But it happens, and not too much to complain about after a 17-game point streak. So they didn’t beat the Kings? Psh.
Just gotta get back on the ball Saturday night against the Blue Jackets.
- Barry Trotz says he’s not too concerned that the Islanders are giving up more goals of late. [Newsday]
- All they can do is move forward, sayeth Trotz. [Newsday]
One way to do that is to mix up all the lines:
Lines at #Isles practice:— Arthur Staple (@StapeAthletic) November 29, 2019
- Noah Dobson continues to try to work himself into the Islanders lineup. [Newsday]
- The Islanders remained on top of ESPN’s power rankings.
- And they remained no. 3 in NHL’s Super 16.
- Thomas Greiss proving last season was no fluke has been a nice story to start the season. [LHH]
- ESPN listed off things they were thankful for this Thanksgiving, and both Michael Farber and old pal Rick DiPietro were thankful for the Islanders and the rebirth brought on by Barry Trotz and Lou Lamoriello.
- With the decade winding down, The Athletic is going through some best-of-2010s memories and listicles. A game no one will ever forget? Friday Night Fights at the Coliseum back in 2011. Arthur Staple talks to some of the players involved in that game. [The Athletic]
- Staple also picked out the all-2010s Islanders roster. [The Athletic]
- The Railers have made a coaching change, installing David Cunniff to that position and to general manager. [RailersHC]
- The passing of Thanksgiving means it’s Christmas season, and the Islanders are offering 12 Days of Deals on single game tickets and gear. These do expire in 12 days or less, so act now!
Wednesday night was a busy night around the league, including a wild-west-shootout in Pittsburgh, where the Penguins topped the Canucks 8-6, and the Capitals beating the Panthers 4-3 in regulation.
- The Bruins have signed both Charlie Coyle and brief Islander Chris Wagner to extensions. They would have been UFA this summer. [NHL]
- American Thanksgiving is usually a marker for teams unsure of their playoff hopes: four out of five teams in playoff position in late November stay there. What do the numbers say about that? The Isles are “safe bets,” given the banked points. [The Athletic]
- The Flyers are in playoff position for the first time in eight Thanksgivings, and I didn’t realize how dire it’s been in Philly. [BSH]
- Bill Peters has released a statement apologizing for using “offensive language in a professional setting a decade ago,” formulated as a letter to his GM, Brad Treliving. FWIW, no apology to Akim Aliu, at whom the “offensive language” was directed. [THN | NHL]
UPDATE: And now it appears Peters has been fired by the Flames.