With the team riding a 17-game points streak, Mike and Dan talk about the Islanders’ brave new universe, Trotzgiving and the team’s social media evolution with guest Michael Schuerlein.
One of the original Isles Blog Boxers, Mike walks them through how he went from writing for an automotive magazine to covering drafts, games and other events, and forging long-lasting relationships with the franchise and media members. They also talk about which Islanders are the smartest and the most snake-bitten, and how one more NHL team has been added to the growing list of groups re-thinking their tactics to better emulate the Isles’ success.
Includes Islanders-branded energy drinks, “happy violence” and crying Brian Burke.
We hope everyone has a happy, fun, safe, filling and generous Thanksgiving. Or, better still, a “Trotzgiving.”
- Thanks again to Michael Schuerlein for coming on with us and having a cool conversation. You can follow Mike on Twitter at @IslesBlogger, and listen to his podcast The Isles Faithful on its website, iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts.
- Here’s his blast-from-the-past article on that Islanders-branded energy drink from the HAVOC ENERGY ZONE!
- And here’s the (quite frankly, surreal) video following the Ryan Smyth trade that Leboff mentions. Geez, what a weird time.
Spezza: "We'll probably play in our end a little bit, but you try & keep them to the outside. We (hear) talk of the Islanders & how they're playing & sometimes you have to kind of be comfortable with playing in your D-zone & letting teams be on the outside ..."— Mark Masters (@markhmasters) November 23, 2019
- Make sure to follow @LhhPodcasts on Twitter for all Lighthouse Hockey audio releases, news and announcements.
- Remember: We need your calls for the My Favorite Islanders Game podcast. The number to call is mentioned in this episode. So drop us a message and tell us the story of your favorite Islanders game experience. Lines are always open. Thanks to everyone who called in for our first episode, as well as everyone who listened.
- Our sponsor this season is VintageIceHockey.com, where you can buy shirts, hoodies and mugs featuring logos and colors of over 100 classic hockey teams. Each top quality item is shipped fast, and the product pages have trivia notes you can get lost in. Use the code LIGHTHOUSE15 at checkout to save 15% on your order.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show's profile and maybe could get us a fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Opening theme song: "Sports" by Josh Spacek.
Closing theme song: “I Thank You” by Sam & Dave.
You can subscribe to Islanders Anxiety in any podcast app. Use either the app’s search function or enter our RSS feed.
Hosting for SB Nation podcasts is provided by Megaphone.