The New York Islanders aim for a franchise record tonight, with a chance to sweep this home-and-home with the Penguins. (Technically, though, even if the Islanders lose in extra time OT/shootout they will have extended the points streak and record, which was first set before the NHL’s “The People Demand A Winner” era.)
Leave your First Islanders Goal picks here.
- Casey Cizikas and Brock Nelson reflect on reaching 500 games. [Isles]
- You wouldn’t know the Isles are on such a roll by talking to them. Just doing their thing. [Newsday | Islanders Insight]
- In the newest episode of IslesBuzz, Noel and Dan discuss the historic streak and the emergence of Anthony Beauvillier [LHH Podcasts]
- 15 things about the 15-game streak. Looking for negatives? Anders Lee’s goal slump, and the PK recently, perhaps. [Athletic]
- Bridgeport Report: Looking at another three-in-three this weekend. [Isles]
- You’ve heard variations of this before, surely, but the 2016 UFA class is like the inverse of the legendary 2003 NHL draft class. Andrew Ladd’s contract is among the instantly regrettable. [Athletic]
- In accordance with the prophecies: More musing on that Russian report that Ilya Sorokin is not discussing a KHL extension because he wants to be in the NHL next season. [Islanders Insight]
- Pittsburgh followers admit it, games against the Islanders are more significant. [Pittsburgh Hockey]
- Nearing the end of the first quarter, how have things changed around the league vs. preseason expectations? (The Islanders rock, for one.) [Athletic]
Last night’s NHL scores include the Rangers upsetting the Capitals. Thanks, little brothers!
The big news from Elsewhere-land yesterday was the firing of Mike Babcock, “a good pro,” as coach of the Toronto Maple Laughs.
A former NHLer, um, weighs in:
Hey Mike Babcock....simply put your players quit on you. They quit on you because you are a terrible human being. You are an average coach with an extremely oversized ego. You finally got exactly what you deserve you selfish prick. The hockey world is ecstatic.— Mike Commodore (@commie22) November 20, 2019
- “I’m mad because the realization that the Mike Babcock era that was supposed to be the a golden age of Leafs success ended in a tire fire, like everything always ends for the Leafs.” [Pension Plan Puppets]
- Brendan Shanahan, no stranger to stabbing a colleague, speaks about the move. [PPP]
- 31 Thoughts, including some on how Babcock won’t be fired just yet. [Sportsnet]
- Steve Yzerman knows it’s rebuilding for the long haul in Detroit. [NHL]
- Hockey players have to wait all day for the game, then 17 minutes in between periods. How they think about the game(s) within the game. [Athletic]
- In the NHL, you get suspended for spitting. (At another player. Whether or not there were cheap shots preceding.) [NHL]
- Chris Kerber let longtime Blues TV announcer and heir call periods on the radio during last spring’s Stanley Cup final, which earned him a broadcasting award, so he’s again stepping aside for the awards night. [Blues]