The point streak reached thirteen games on the thirteenth of November, and number thirteen led the way. I don’t remember who had mentioned the possibility of the win streak hitting thirteen last night with all of these other thirteens in play, but stick taps to you. Feel free to identify yourself below.
Always delicious to beat the Maple Leafs and John Tavares.
The big man speaks:
Trotz on tonight's win against the Leafs. pic.twitter.com/c54AePwh3R— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) November 14, 2019
- The Isles and Tavares are thriving separately. [Newsday]
- Coming into the game, the Islanders wanted to feed off the energy of the crowd with the JT return, and you can really tell that guys like Mathew Barzal and Anthony Beauvillier love that kind of game. [Newsday]
Former New York Jet, two-time Super Bowl champ, and ESPN football analyst Damien Woody attended last night’s game. He previously vented on Twitter about the struggles of New York sports, but since many Jets fans are also Islanders fans, he was informed about their success. Suffice to say, I think the Islanders have a new fan. [Islanders]
- LISTEN: I love this and I haven’t even listened to it yet. Pierre McGuire discusses why Mike Babcock can’t get the Leafs to do what Barry Trotz has gotten the Islanders to do.
- Pierre LeBrun reported that Lou Lamoriello and J.P. Barry, the agent for Barzal, have had preliminary discussions toward a new contract; the sense LeBrun gets is that neither side is any rush, but that Barry would be willing to move things along whenever Lou is ready. [The Athletic]
- And Shayna Goldman breaks down how this might be Barzal’s best season yet at both ends of the rink. [The Athletic]
- Thought no. 17 references the Isles’ time in their own zone and how they limit quality. The rest of Elliotte Friedman’s 31 Thoughts is informative, as usual.
- The Isles, according to this columnist, are constructed similarly to most of Lou Lamoriello’s successful teams: with stellar goaltending and fiscal responsibility. [Toronto Star]
- Mike Fornabaio examines the state of the Sound Tigers in this Sound Tigers Faceoff. [CTInsider]
- The Sound Tigers honored those who served this past Veterans Day. [CTInsider]
Last night’s NHL scores include the Capitals winning AGAIN, this time in the shootout over the Isles’ next opponent, the Flyers; and the Senators topped the Devils in Newark thanks, in part, to a hat trick from Jean-Gabriel Pageau.
- Sidney Crosby seems like he might be out long-term for the Penguins, which is not favorable for them. [TribLIVE]
- The Ducks power play might be in need of some assistance. [Anaheim Calling]
- Sometimes, stars we associate with one or two teams have pit stops in random places along the way. Here are all the weirdest ones. [ESPN]