The expectation appears to be the same lineup (including Noah Dobson out) but with Thomas Greiss in goal. Nothing official yet though.
Your First Islanders Goal picks go here. Note the refreshed rules for this season.
- The Jets look quite different in back, with Jacob Trouba now a Ranger (trade request), Tyler Myers a Canuck (free agency) and Dustin Byfuglien on a leave of absence pondering his future (and according to reports, retirement).
- As the official site notes, this game represents Barry Trotz passing Al Arbour on the all-time list for regular season games coached in the NHL.
- Trotz wasn’t too happy with how the Islanders were in the faceoff circle in the opener. [Newsday]
- Tonight’s opponent, the Jets hope that big comeback against the Devils is a beacon of hope for the whole season. [Athletic]
- It’s been a long road and it was a special moment for Michael Dal Colle to be in the opening night lineup. [Islanders Insight]
- The Sound Tigers were thumped in their opener. [AHL | Sound Tigers | Fornabaio pre-game blog] They’re back at it this afternoon at Hartford.
- Andrew Ladd practiced with the team yesterday but you weren’t allowed to touch him.
- Nothing much here on the Sportsnet panel covering other things, but around the 4:05 mark they talk about Josh Ho-Sang’s camp telling other teams he’s willing to start in the AHL as part of any trade. Not sure he’d have a choice. [Sportsnet]
- From opening night: Braden Holtby, in the backup role off the ice, kindly took selfies with Isles fans. [RMNB]
#Isles Barry Trotz said he has gotten no update from Bridgeport on D Thomas Hickey, who certainly appeared to take a head shot toward the end of last night's game. Trotz said he's seen video of the hit.— Andrew Gross (@AGrossNewsday) October 6, 2019
- Saturday night fallout: Toronto collapsed for a shootout loss against the rival Habs, aided by Kasperi Kapanen throwing his broken stick to elicit a penalty shot. [Sportsnet] The Habs aim to outlast with their depth. [Athletic] It all leads a national carnival barker to say the Leafs not tough enough to win it all. [Coach’s Corner]
- Matthew Tkachuk says Milan Lucic is important to the Flames. [Sportsnet]
- The Penguins bounced back from their season-opening loss, though Sidney Crosby got in a fight and Evgeni Malkin left with an injury. [Post-Gazette]