The New York Islanders have another weird four-day break in the schedule because of a touring circus or #trafficproblems or who knows what.
The important thing is we can enjoy a seven-game winning streak for a big fat almost-week bridging October and November. Meanwhile, everybody is singing the Islanders’ praises because of the win streak, even though we and Barry know there’s been a bit of luck involved.
- Lots of fun stuff in this one, including the best quote from Barry Trotz’s lengthy win-streak presser, and great details on Cole Bardreau reacting to his first NHL callup. Also: the broken neck was the easy injury. [Straight outta Compton at NHL.com]
- More on that Trotz commentary, and “Islanders hockey” [Sportsnet Trotz interview | Athletic]
- “Three good players, a lot of speed, just smart on the ice. One of those lines where it just works right away.” On Anthony Beauvillier, Brock Nelson and Derrick Brassard. [Newsday]
- Here’s to Dennis Seidenberg, beloved by teammates, now retired and working for the club’s development staff. [Isles | LHH]
- Mathew Barzal has magic hands, but even he is susceptible to the deception of “magic” (and boy I hope that’s not a political statement). [LHH]
- Bless Islanders fans, they will hunt Kate Murray’s post-executive political aspirations down to the town clerk race. I look forward to the day she gets shouted down in a candidacy for Cub Scouts Den Mother. [Newsday]
- In which Devon Toews being good somehow counts as a surprise. [THN]
- The Nystroms are a family that builds together. [Athletic]
- No surprise, the Belmont arena developers have asked a judge to dismiss the Floral Park lawsuit. [Newsday]
"Anders Lee was a beast today. His goal was a great example of leadership. You don't have a license to do less, you have a responsibility to do more. He knew it was a big game and he did more." - Barry Trotz pic.twitter.com/H9PgdR60Fm— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) October 28, 2019
Congrats to Yes Men Outfitters (and Oyster Bay Brewing), see the full thread here for more:
I’d like to welcome you all to the new YMO World HQ! @OysterBayBrewin will be the new official house of the brand. We’re moving all day to day operations including printing, packing, and shipping to Audrey Ave...FULL TIME. pic.twitter.com/zPTommPzDP— YesMenOutfitters (@YesMenOutfitter) October 28, 2019
Last night’s NHL scores include just two games, none involving the Metro.
- Big fantasy hockey news: Vladimir Tarasenko needs shoulder surgery and is out until basically the end of the regular season. [St. Louis Game Time | NHL | Blues]
- Travis Hamonic was in disbelief that the outdoor game was his 600th in the NHL. [Winnipeg Free Press]
- The Flames have placed possibly attractive Tobias Rieder on waivers. [TSN]
- The Blackhawks wouldn’t play Brendan Perlini so they granted his wish to be traded by sending him to an even worse team, maybe? [Second City Hockey]
- Evgeni Malkin and Brian Dumoulin are back practicing with the Penguins. [Trib Live]
- Why do the Leafs suck in the back end of back-to-backs, at least in this season’s small sample? Who cares, but probably because they have Babs and not Trotz. [Athletic]
- Evidently Bill Guerin is shopping a trio of Minnesota’s Least Valuable Forwards. [Hockey Wilderness]
- Just the latest example where fighting in hockey is pretty barbaric, it turns out. [Post]