The Islanders complete a stretch of three games in four nights tonight when the Flyers visit the Coliseum at 7:00 p.m. After tonight’s game, the Islanders will, again, be off for four days before playing a back-to-back over the weekend. Bizarre schedule.
PREVIEW: Here’s Carey discussing the Islanders with Kelly of Flyers site Broad Street Hockey.
- Looking ahead to tonight, what can we expect from this contest? Philadelphia is on a back-to-back, for one. [Islanders]
UPDATE: Tom Kuhnhackl and Matt Martin will both be out 4-6 weeks as per GM Lou Lamoriello.
Lou: Kuhnhackl and Martin both out 4-6 weeks.— Arthur Staple (@StapeAthletic) October 27, 2019
- With the Yankees out and all the other New York teams in disarray, the Islanders, yes, the Islanders, present New York’s best chance at a championship in the next year. It’s not a great chance, but it’s better than the rest of New York. [Best @ Newsday]
- Dimitri Filipovic goes around the league for a temperature check to see whose hot starts (and cold starts) will continue. He views the Islanders as exactly what everyone thought they were: stifling on defense, just okay on offense. [ESPN]
- The Railers lost 5-2 on the road to the Brampton Beast. Jordan Samuels-Thomas had a goal and an assist. Their record is now 3-2-0-0. [RailersHC]
- The Sound Tigers were in Hartford last night to play the rival
RangersWolf Pack and lost 4-1. From the sound of it, it was pretty ugly on the team’s part. Goalie prospect and 2018 third-rounder Jakub Škarek made his AHL debut in net and it seems he was hung out to dry. [Soundin’ Off preview/lines | Sound Tigers post-game/recap]
Sound Tigers are down 4-1 to Hartford, being outshot 33-13 and on their way to a 1-5-2 start with 17 total goals scored.— Arthur Staple (@StapeAthletic) October 27, 2019
Last night’s NHL scores include the Bruins shutting out the Blues at home in a Stanley Cup Final rematch and the Avalanche losing at home to the Ducks. Tonight’s opponent also beat the Blue Jackets at home, 7-4.
- Also, last night was the Heritage Classic between the Flames and the Jets (counting as a Jets home game) and Winnipeg won 2-1 in overtime after being down 1-0 going into the third. [NHL]
The city of Atlanta wasn’t really feeling the match-up, though:
Calgary and the Jets are playing in an outdoor game right now and no we are not okay thanks for asking— Atlanta Thrashers (@NotThrashers) October 27, 2019
- Gary Bettman roasted the Maple Leafs in his response to a question about the NHL’s current playoff format and all of a sudden, I think Bettman is good now. [Yahoo]
- Speaking of the Leafs, they fell behind early to the Canadiens last night and were never able to come back, a disturbing trend (if you’re the Toronto media, anyway) in the early going of the season. [Sportsnet]