It was a satisfying victory last night to bring the Islanders’ win streak to five, and they would seem to have a juicy opportunity to make it six as they visit Ottawa’s basement tonight.
Barry Trotz said expect to use everyone during this three-in-four weekend, but after last night’s effort against the Coyotes will he want to make any changes? Noah Dobson could use a game.
Leave your First Islanders Goal (FIG) picks for tonight over here.
Oh, and Trotz? He liked lots and lots about last night, including seeing that Casey Cizikas line back together.
Trotz was happy with tonight's complete effort to extend our winning streak! #LGI pic.twitter.com/gypdNz7ozq— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) October 25, 2019
Barry Trotz's description of #Isles strong start tonight in 4-2 win over #Coyotes: "Dogs on the bone right off the bat."— Andrew Gross (@AGrossNewsday) October 25, 2019
- Trotz also liked Derick Brassard, who picked up his first goal in the uniform while in a new spot on the wing: “I thought that was his best game of the year. He was on the puck. He was physically really involved. He made plays in the offensive zone, he was detailed in the defensive zone and he produced. ... That was more the Brassard that I’ve always seen.”
- More about last night: [LHH | Newsday | Five For Howling]
- Exciting night for Cole Bardreau, who’s overcome so many injuries to see his NHL debut, and lots of friends and family were able to make game #2. [Isles]
- Earlier in the day, the Isles activated Casey Cizikas from IR, made room for him by placing Leo Komarov (who won’t make the trip to Ottawa) there, and also shuffled goalies between Bridgeport and Worcester ahead of a busy weekend for all three clubs. [LHH]
- Simon Holmstrom is that rare teenager in the AHL, but he’s working hard and impressing many with Bridgeport. [AHL]
- In praise of the ageless Johnny Boychuk. [NYIsles Blog]
- The top 5 trade destinations for Joshua Ho-Sang. [THN]
- Islanders PTO and landlord legend Dennis Seidenberg says he’s retiring. [985 Boston | NBC]
- The Isles have a new sweet puppy, she made her public debut last night, and her name is Tori. [Isles]
Last night’s NHL scores also included, among others, the Flyers dumping the Blackhawks, the Rangers ending their skid and stopping the Sabres, and Columbus beating the Hurricanes in a three-point game.
- Lots of injuries last night, too, including Vladimir Tarasenko, Matt Duchene and Josh Manson for the Sbisa-less Ducks.
- It’s like Lighthouse Hockey ca. 2008-12: A comparison of rebuild approaches by the Wings, Kings and Senators. [Athletic]
- Travis Hamonic was injured for the Islanders-Rangers outdoor game, so the Heritage Classic represents a second chance. [NHL]
- Who will be the Craig MacTavish of playing without a visor? [TSN]
- Interesting interview with Eric Tulsky on how he’s built an analytics department with the Hurricanes. [Canes]
- There are about 800 stories about the Leafs’ latest melodrama — you know, they don’t win every game so it is a manufactured national crisis — and this is one of them. [Sportsnet]