Today is Butch Goring’s 70th birthday. Happy birthday Butchie. Hope you’re celebrating in style.
The Islanders were off yesterday, but they’ll probably take the ice again today.
- On Sunday, Andrew Ladd wore a regular practice jersey instead of his orange, no-contact jersey. Andrew Gross still thinks he’s at least a month away, though. [Newsday]
- That and other updates from Sunday’s practice, including a Barry Trotz media session. [Islanders]
- The team, as a whole, is trying to balance work and rest during these long stretches without games. Anthony Beauvillier expects a tough practice today. [Newsday]
- Eight numbers to describe the Islanders season. Okay, go! Name eight numbers! [The Athletic]
- We’ve got a prospect report, including a couple new guys from this past draft tearing up juniors. [Islanders]
- And we’ve got a Bridgeport report, including their upcoming schedule. They host the Providence Bruins tonight, and then have a 3-in-3 this weekend. [Sound Tigers]
- LISTEN: “Tonight we’re gonna party like it’s Episode 99.” Mike & Dan discuss the good and bad parts of the four-game win streak and relive Alumni Night. [Islanders Anxiety]
- The Isles have drafted a new Puppy with a Purpose for this season, and we still need to vote on her name. [News12]
Relatedly, with the off-day, the Islanders new-and-improved Twitter team posted a GIF thread of the Islanders with puppies, if your day needed some brightening. Click the tweet below to open it up in a new tab, and scroll away.
Thanks for coming to our PUPPY PARTYYYY! pic.twitter.com/9XmGu7abpY— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) October 21, 2019
We got two days of scores to catch up on. On Sunday, the Canucks jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first, but the Rangers made a furious push in the third to bring themselves within one, ultimately falling. And on Monday, the defending champion Blues handed the Avalanche their first regulation loss of the season.
- There were a bunch of crazy storms with tornadoes in the Dallas area Sunday night, but everyone on the Stars, including Ben Bishop, appears to be okay. Bishop had to miss yesterday’s morning skate, but his house suffered only minor damage and was able to back up Anton Khudobin in the Stars’ 2-1 win over the Senators yesterday. [NHL]
- VIDEO: When asked what has made two of his players, Dmytro Timashov and Trevor Moore, so successful, Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock said: “They got big asses.” [TSN]