Mike & Dan discuss the good and bad parts of the Islanders’ four-game winning streak and the esoteric joys of the team’s Alumni Night.
They talk about the team’s lack of a 60-minute effort despite banking points throughout their first eight games, and the many lineup changes that have been necessary. Solid but incomplete efforts against the Jets and Panthers are contrasted against discomforting loses to the Oilers and Hurricanes, a wild win over the Blue Jackets and an improbable comeback versus the Blues.
Later, they revel in the players both famous and anonymous that appeared at the most recent alumni celebration, and how the Islanders’ unique community has helped forge those long-standing connections.
Finally, they look forward to a weird schedule that could have a few pitfalls.
This episode is dedicated to Jimmy, an important founding member of the Islanders Anxiety team.
- The recap of the Islanders-Blue Jackets game, in which Barry Trotz talks about “weathering the storms.”
- The list of alumni from Alumni Night will be used again for our “X was an Islander” segments:
- And if you haven’t yet listened to this PT Isles interview with Mick Vukota from before Alumni Night, do it right now. It is tremendous.
- Make sure to follow @LhhPodcasts on Twitter for all Lighthouse Hockey audio releases, news and announcements.
- Remember: We need your calls for the My Favorite Islanders Game podcast. The number to call is mentioned in this episode. So drop us a message and tell us the story of your favorite Islanders game experience. Lines are always open. Thanks to everyone who called in for our first episode, as well as everyone who listened.
- Our sponsor this season is VintageIceHockey.com, where you can buy shirts, hoodies and mugs featuring logos and colors of over 100 classic hockey teams. Each top quality item is shipped fast, and the product pages have trivia notes you can get lost in. Use the code LIGHTHOUSE15 at checkout to save 15% on your order.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show's profile and maybe could get us a fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Opening theme song: "Sports" by Josh Spacek.
Closing theme song: “Hot N Cold” by Katy Perry.
You can subscribe to Islanders Anxiety in any podcast app. Use either the app’s search function or enter our RSS feed.
Hosting for SB Nation podcasts is provided by Megaphone.