At last, the NHL season begins tonight with a battle of the two most recent Stanley Cup champions, who also play each other a ton in the preseason for some reason. There are other regional rivalry games to kick off the season, too.
- Everybody cleared waivers so this is your opening night roster. [LHH | Newsday | Isles]
- Be it Mike, Charles, Garth or Lou, the Islanders continue to do things their way. [NBC]
- Brooks buries the lead by talking about how cool he is before mentioning Mike Bossy was approached by Bruce McNall about playing with Wayne Gretzky and the Kings. [Post]
Listen to Us and Listen to Us Now
So many podcasts in Islanders Nation, which is probably a good sign heading into Belmont. Let’s start with our season-opening episodes:
- Islanders Anxiety covers the gamut from today to obscure players from Isles history.
- Isles Buzz does its annual over/under episode with guesses on point totals, games played for Ho-Sang and the like.
- Here’s the entire league’s opening rosters. [NHL]
- Understanding Jarmo Kekalainen, pioneering Finnish NHL GM, pub vigiliante and bold fellow. [Athletic]
- The Blues got their Stanley Cup ring design right — tacky per the accessory’s tradition, but full of references to the fans — and in that spirit they gave a ring to their most inspirational fan. [NHL]
- Evander Kane was suspended three games for his altercation with a linesman. [NHL]
- The Flames have cap challenges. [Flames Nation]
- Here are 10 on the hot seat this season. [TSN]
- Micheal Haley looks to return to the Rangers. #PlayLikeASmurf [Post]
- ...and here are 10 storylines around the league. [NHL]
- And here are NHL writers’ predictions. [NHL]
- Random punnery fun: