Based on the totality of “this is fine” play per minute over the past three games, it feels a little fortunate for the New York Islanders to wake up this morning riding a three-game win streak.
But after a jarringly sloppy first period against the Winnipeg Jets — who remain the only team the Islanders have beaten in regulation this season — the Islanders stabilized, got two goals from their best player, and rode some faith-building goaltending by Semyon Varlamov to lift themselves back into a winning (and even wild card) record.
As Eric Hornick pointed out in Skinny-related fodder, the Islanders now have more wins than first-period goals.
- About last night: [LHH | Newsday | NHL]
- Barry Trotz, for one, is happy they’re out on the ol’ road, doing the bonding and the what-not. [Newsday]
- Yesterday Dan debuted our newest podcast, “My Favorite Islanders Game,” starring...well, you. Thanks for those who shared their memories. Keep it up! [LHH]
- Ross Johnston, getting rewarded for patiently awaiting his opportunity to play. (Relatively...he logged 5:33 last night.) [Newsday]
- Ryan Pulock and his partner: Big-time dog rescuers. [Isles]
- Oliver Wahlstrom: From trick-shot teen to budding NHLer. [News Center Maine]
- Bode Wilde, who missed all of training camp with an injury, will now report to AHL Bridgeport at age 19. [Isles | CT Insider]
- Jordan Samuels-Thomas, a Qunnipiac alum, son of two track athletes, and a writer for The Athletic, is making a name (and initials) for himself at age 29 in ECHL Worcester. [Telegram]
Pumping Varly’s tires:
Game 7 KPI Scorecard: Isles - 3; Jets - 1— Carey Haber (@habermetrics) October 18, 2019
- Oliver Wahlstrom had another fantastic game. Lot of ixG, lot of xGF% share.
- Barzal was outstanding tonight, as was the 3-6 pairing
- Fourth line experiment... not so much
- The 18-29-28 line? 87.03% xGF together. Monster night. pic.twitter.com/tKMTidcQtx
- Zack Kassian is celebrating a new lease on life with four years sober. [TSN]
- The Dallas Stars, a popular preseason pick to make waves in the playoffs, are off to a miserable 1-6-1 start. It’s time they reset and find their “Gloria.” [Defending Big D]
- The Maple Leafs will be without one of their centers for a few weeks thanks to a broken finger. [TSN]
- Valentin Zykov gets a 20-game suspension for a banned substance, and the Knights are kind of like “Yep, he deserves it.” [NHL | Knights on Ice]
- Long Island’s Kenny Albert calls a lot of freaking events in a lot of freaking sports. [Uproxx]