A little matinee with the defending Stanley Cup Champs for the kids off from school for Indigenous Peoples Day/Columbus Day. The Blues will be at the Coliseum for a 1:00 p.m. start. I wish I had off today!
Leave your FIG picks here. Who knows who will be in the lineup today for the 2019-20 Dominik Bowl: Part I.
- Let’s preview the matchup, shall we? Why not, right? Mainly, who would play if Jordan Eberle and Casey Cizikas can’t go? And who is in for the opponents? Also, based on the Isles’ site’s depiction of the logo today, I would guess the Islanders will be in their thirds today. [NHL | Islanders | Blues]
- UPDATE: It’s Oliver Wahlstrom. The young rookie pro has been recalled to make his NHL debut, with Cizikas being placed on IR.
- If Eberle is going to be out long-term (and the Islanders didn’t practice yesterday, so no updates on his condition), an intriguing replacement for him would be Oliver Wahlstrom. The team also stated that, as of Friday, there was no update on Joshua Ho-Sang’s situation. [Newsday]
- The Sound Tigers were able to defeat the defending AHL champs on Friday night, but the Checkers came away with the victory in their immediate rematch Saturday night. Arnaud Durandeau scored in his first professional game, Bridgeport’s only goal. [Sound Tigers]
Current Red Wings front office executive and one of the original front office executives for the Islanders, a guy who had a huge hand in scouting and picking some of the names that led the dynasty teams, is undergoing surgery to remove a non-cancerous brain tumor today. The Islanders are pulling for him.
Per Mickey Redmond on the #RedWings' telecast: Jimmy Devellano, the Wings' long-time front office exec, has a non-cancerous brain tumor. Surgery is Monday. Wings say they will have more info later. Prayers and all the best to one of the finest men in hockey.— Ted Kulfan (@tkulfan) October 12, 2019
Our thoughts and prayers go out to you, Jimmy. pic.twitter.com/JmgTJ0xnAD— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) October 13, 2019
- Goalie Jake Allen is now tied for second all-time with Curtis Joseph in wins with the Blues with 137. I didn’t realize he had been there so long. [Blues]
- Avalanche defenseman Cale Makar is one of the top performers to watch under 20 years old. Noah Dobson is apparently not. [NHL]
- Much like the Coliseum honored Billy Joel for his sellout performances, the Staples Center has one for Taylor Swift. The Kings are going to cover it up for their future home games in the arena, as the fans claim it is cursing their team. I’d say they’re probably bad because most of the core, including their goalie, is aging and overpaid, but sure! [Yahoo]