Only a week into the season and we already have to go more than one day without Islanders hockey? That’s it, I’m DONE.
- Noah Dobson is probably going to force Barry Trotz to make some difficult roster decisions at some point this season. [The Athletic]
- I’d imagine he’ll be in uniform Friday night against the Hurricanes, even as Trotz contemplates lineup changes, since he was one of two or three Islanders that looked ready to play Tuesday against the Oilers. [Newsday]
- The Isles’ slow start is no reason for panic, according to this article. I disagree, though: it’s always time to panic! [WFAN]
#Isles Barry Trotz confirms Tom Kuhnhackl will play Friday night at Carolina but not necessarily with Nelson and Bailey.— Andrew Gross (@AGrossNewsday) October 10, 2019
Trotz expects Cizikas and Leddy to be available.
Saturday’s game against the Panthers will be a special gathering of the Isles’ first Cup team, which played 40 seasons ago.
.— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) October 9, 2019
Come join us on Saturday at the Coli for the 40th anniversary celebration and you’ll take home your very own 1979-80 #Isles Stanley Cup replica ring! Get tickets here: https://t.co/n6b36xqGld pic.twitter.com/rHm82pdcoc
Last night’s NHL scores include the Devils losing once again, this time to the Flyers.
- Tangentially, Carter Hart, who shut out New Jersey last night, looks to end Philadelphia’s generations-long goaltender search. [NHL]
- Patrick Marleau will, indeed, rejoin the Sharks on a league-minimum deal. [Mercury]
He’ll be in the lineup tonight when the Sharks visit the Blackhawks. His ironman streak remains in tact, according to the league, because it’s only counted while he is under contract. [NHL]
The Sharks didn't officially sign Marleau until today. So not before last night's game which he missed. https://t.co/mZriGhcy5m— Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) October 9, 2019
- His former Sharks teammate, Joe Pavelski, is still adjusting to life and career in Dallas. [NHL]
- Pavelski’s new team, the Stars, turned their “worst game of the year” (a real quote from October 9 about a season that started on October 2) into their emotional first win. [NHL]
- Pierre LeBrun conducted a Q&A with Blues GM Doug Armstrong about what it’s like to construct a Stanley Cup winner. [The Athletic]
- Bo Horvat has been named the next captain of the Canucks, the first since Henrik Sedin. [NHL]
- Steven Stamkos is not satisfied with his team’s start at all. [The Athletic]
- James Neal is making the most of his new opportunity with Edmonton. [TSN]
- Czech-born soccer (fiiiiiiine, “football”) goalkeeper Petr Cech, who spent his career with Chelsea and Arsenal in the English Premier Leauge, has traded his cleats for skates, trying his hand at protecting a hockey net with the Guildford Phoenix.