Today at noon EDT we’ll learn whether three tenured Islanders/Sound Tigers will be traveling to Bridgeport or traveling to other NHL destinations via the magical waiver wire. Lots of players hit waivers around the league yesterday, so it’s anyone’s guess whether another team nibbles.
Regardless, the 23-man opening roster has become all but assured.
- The Islanders placed Thomas Hickey, Joshua Ho-Sang and Tanner Fritz on waivers, hanging on (thus far) to Noah Dobson, Ross Johnston, Tom Kuhnhackl and of course Leo Komarov. [LHH | Isles | Newsday | Athletic]
- Prospect Report: Cole Coskey continues to roll for OHL Saginaw. [Isles]
- Barry Trotz spoke of the difficulty exposing Hickey to waivers:
- As noted, lots of waivers all around, including Vancouver waiving Sven Baertschi because too much skill. [Sportsnet]
- A reminder about revisions to replay review and coach’s challenges this season. [NHL]
- Season previews galore: Cautious optimism for the Isles from NBC. [Newsday] But also seeing them as a playoff team in danger of missing this time. [NBC Sports] Predictions and questions for each team [ESPN]
- And here’s an overview of jersey changes and status quos. [CBS Sports]
- You know who would be a good waiver claim for the Oilers is that Ho-Sang fella. [Copper N Blue]
- Officially now, Seattle’s AHL affiliate will be in Palm Springs. [AHL]
- I drifted into a pro shop yesterday and noticed the Flyers on TV...losing to Lausanne, Switzerland. Not a hallucination nor typo. [BSH]
- The band Green Day and the NHL are doing something or other together. [NHL]
- Ten potential breakout stars for this year. [TSN]
- The NHL hashtags are out, and most are the same, except...hmmm, #PlayLikeASmurf appears to be a thing.
- The Blues got to unpack their Stanley Cup rings and as usual there’s a lot of story (and gaudy diamonds) behind it (This is where I usually note they were won at the expense of Brad Marchand and the Bruins, who lost. They lost Game 7 at home in Boston.):