It’s a (likely for you) frigid Wednesday. Do you know where your Islanders are?
They’re back in action in two days, hosting the eminently terrifying Lightning on Friday night.
- Travis revisited his comparison of the Islanders to last season’s surprise teams (Devils, Avalanche, Knights), now that more than half of the season is through. [LHH]
- Andrew Gross did a mid-season status report, divided by forwards, defensemen and goalies. [Newsday]
- Barry Almeida is putting up goals for ECHL Worcester. [Telegram]
- AHL mid-season updates (same alignment next season), and a Rick DiPietro tale. [Soundin’ Off]
Barry surprises the Dauphin Kings:
A smattering of boos when Artemi Panarin is announced in the starting lineup and when he touches the puck shortly after #CBJ win face-off.— Aaron Portzline (@Aportzline) January 30, 2019
Last night’s NHL scores include Columbus losing in regulation to the Sabres, a nice follow-up to the Penguins losing the night before. The Flyers are still 10 points out of the wild card, but they won their fifth in a row.
- I mean the Blue Jackets don’t need to trade Artemi Panarin and Sergei Bobrovsky. [NHL]
- The Rangers can’t keep both Mika Zibanejan and Kevin Hayes (can they?). [Blueshirt Banter]
- Predators forward Auston Watson is suspended indefinitely, entering the NHL/NHLPA substance abuse and behavioral health program. [On the Forecheck | NHL]
- The Jake Muzzin trade should be the beginning of the Kings teardown. [NBC Sports]
- Neat: children of a guy who once got a stick from Nick Foligno’s dad receive a stick from the son. [NHL]
- Which teams are best positioned to truly go all in on the tank? [Athletic / DGB]