The Islanders only netted one standings point in a shootout loss last night in Chicago but still enter an extended All-Star break with a three-point lead for first place in the Metro.
No, did not expect to say that as they prepare to play games in February.
- About last night: LHH | Newsday | Isles | NHL | SCH]
- Lou Lamoriello doing the media rounds, recycling some lines but also providing some insight into his experience on the Island thus far. [Athletic | SiriusXMNHL]
- More on Barry Trotz changing the culture and expectations of the team. [AP]
- Arthur Staple joins the One Puck Short podcast.
- Trotz and Cal Clutterbuck talk about his role and recent offensive bump. [Newsday]
- Unpacking how the Islanders are defensively organized and disciplined under Trotz, with some video stills. [Athletic]
- A look inside the annual international youth tournament the Islanders just hosted. [Isles]
- Apparently Isles fans are driving writers nuts with When Will You Recognize the (first-place at the break) Isles? questions. [LHH Fanpost]
- Related: Apparently lots of skeptics still ascribe the whole thing to PDO, which is...well for one that ignores a whole host of other indicators, and for two, asserting the team will not be as hot as it’s been (winning 8 of 10, 15 of 18 etc.) is hardly a bold take. [GSN]
Barry all zen again about last night: Points are hard to get, so it’s still good to get another one of ‘em.
- Beforehand, the Capitals had a team meeting to remind themselves that winning regularly is really hard. [NHL]
- Fantastic feature on Evgeny Kuznetsov, who’s a bit nutty in a good way. [SI]
- The Blue Jackets have decisions ahead about Panarin and Bobrovsky, but first they’d like some answers. [NHL]
- Auston Matthews continues “conceptual” contract talks, while Mitch Marner is adamant about waiting until summer. [TSN | NHL]