Watching Robin Lehner calmly handle net-front traffic on the Blues power play last night was a sight to behold. Who knows what his true New Lehner ceiling is, but when he is on this season — which is way more often than not thus far — he looks like the ideal combo of size and new NHL technique.
Everyone says Lou Lamoriello likes to have himself a bona fide number-one goalie. With each passing week, I wonder if the Isles have one in Lehner, an unrestricted free agent having a career year.
- So the Islanders won last night in overtime over a fairly hot Blues team. Lehner made the stops, Valtteri Filppula had the OT winner off a Barzal feed. [LHH | Newsday | NHL | Isles | STLtoday | STL Game Time]
- Both Lehner and Thomas Greiss have been showstoppers for the Isles. [Newsday]
- Noel and Dan Petriw talked to AJ Mleczko on their latest Isles Buzz podcast. Programming note: They’ll do a live podcast at the Offside Tavern on Saturday, March 16, following the Islanders-Red Wings game at 1 p.m. [LHH]
- Barry Trotz knows the playoffs are a different animal. He intends to have the Isles prepared. [Newsday]
- He also praises the “identity line” of Martin, Cizikas, and Clutterbuck. [Isles]
- Arthur Staple took your questions. Apparently a big one on many people’s mind is a social media rumor that Josh Ho-Sang was demoted for disciplinary reasons and is seeking a trade or some bob-not. Staple asked Trotz, who said it was what he said the first time. [Athletic]
- Corey Pronman’s mid-season NHL prospect rankings include a lot of Islanders, frankly. [Athletic]
- The Isles’ ECHL affiliate in Worcester has a few big promotions this weekend. [Railers]
- The AHL All-Star Game will air on NHL Network (U.S.) and Sportnet. [AHL]
- The Sound Tigers began the first of two in Charlotte with a 1-0 loss. [BST | Soundin’ Off]
Full Trotz presser from last night. On the commitment to blocking shots, “Sometimes you just have to chew on one.” Plus lots on Lehner towards the end.
Last night’s NHL scores include the Penguins losing to the Sharks, the Rangers thumping the Hurricanes, the Blue Jackets winning, the Capitals falling to the Predators, the Ducks’ 12th straight loss, and Antti Niemi making 52 saves in a Canadiens win.
- Speaking of which, is the Ducks’ season a loss? (Yes.) [Anaheim Calling]
- The Capitals feted that youth team that stood up to racist taunts of one of their own. [NHL]
- Evidently Joe Thornton has played 1,000 games with the Sharks alone, but I don’t believe it. [NHL]
- The Oilers still have playoff aspirations. Are they remotely realistic? [Copper N Blue]
- Jordan Binnington felt like he could have had Val’s OT winner last night in his first NHL loss. But overall, he’s enjoying finally getting his shot in goal with the Blues. [NHL]
- A look at the most promising players who were passed over in the draft but are eligible for reconsideration this summer. [McKeen’s]
- Don’t take Pierre’s word for it, but it sure seems like the NHL and PA are...not wanting to have a work stoppage. [Athletic]