The day after being promoted from PTO to Signed Veteran With Finals Experience and Real Steady, Luca Sbisa was paired with Nick Leddy in practice...so that’s interesting.
Reporters on the scene quoted Barry Trotz saying he still prefers three lefty-righty pairs, so maybe that’s good news for a double-lefty Leddy-Sbisa pairing Not Actually Happening, but you wonder.
Then again, Thomas Hickey was also paired with Johnny Boychuk, so this is probably just Trotz getting a look at different combos from players he’s still getting to know. Stand down, #IslesTwitter. The regular season will provide enough fuel for rage.
Tonight they are at the Garden to face the Smurfs. Lineups are available here.
#Isles lines and d-pairs at today’s practice:— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) September 25, 2018
That bottom nine is hot. Then there’s the second power play unit:
PP units in practice:— Arthur Staple (@StapeAthletic) September 25, 2018
- Big thanks to BA_27 for sharing quotes and thoughts from the 12-minute “half-hour” conference call Lou Lamoriello had with season ticket holders. [LHH]
- Speaking of party lines, the idea behind the Sbisa signing is that he creates competition, so... [Newsday]
- Bless him, Brian Compton’s season preview has Sbisa outside of the top six D. (So does NHL Network, which alas projected Sebastian Aho there.) [NHL]
- Dan and Mike are in the weekly groove and discussed Sbisa, Lou’s camp cut quotes, and more. [Islanders Anxiety]
- Are you angered by the Islanders’ camp cuts? Or resigned? [NBC Sports]
- I believe I have the honor of finishing first overall and also dead last in Torgo’s annual prediction contest. So what I’m saying is you should definitely participate. [LHH]
- In a post-Tavares/Snow/Weight world, the Isles are looking for...improvement. [AP]
- Catching up with Brendan Witt. [Isles]
- The Isles and Sabres will meet in Oshawa Friday even though former Generals Tavares and de Haan (:sniff:) are now gone. [Yahoo]
- ECHL Worcester will have at least four players in Bridgeport camp. [Railers]
- Speaking of which, don’t sleep on goalie Mitch Gillam. [CT Post]
- Brent Thompson was happy with the first day of Sound Tigers camp. [Soundin’ Off]
- Chris Casto comes to Bridgeport hearing good things from fellow Minnesotans about the Islanders organization. [CT Post]
- On Nov. 4, you can have the Islanders Experience. Best time you’ll ever have in the Coliseum Marriott, surely. [MAB]
- Or, if you’d prefer to meet an Islander of a newer vintage:
- The Senators placed on waivers Zach Smith, a good player who had an off year, and his teammates are pissed. [Silver Seven | THW | Athletic]
- For the Devils, the health of Taylor Hall and Cory Schneider is key. [NHL]
- There’s no way you haven’t seen the Flyers new mascot, Gritty. So here’s Jezebel’s take. And here’s Broad Street Hockey.
- Looking back on Winnipeg Jets logo history. [THW]
- You may have heard John Tavares was a free agent this past summer but the Montreal Canadiens were one team he wouldn’t meet with (pajamas issues), and their media is hurt. [Sportsnet]
- Vegas has been really smart with the cap, and bridge deals can still be okay sometimes. [The Cap Space] ...Argh. Now they’ve signed Shea Theodore to a seven-year deal. [Knights on Ice]
Meanwhile, in Edmonton...
Entry dies with Lucic who continues to uninspire this fall. First unit cannot get set up— Copper & Blue (@CopperandBlue) September 26, 2018
NOT HOCKEY, BUT...
We’ve all been there, surely: