Very happy it’s Friday, folks. Today’s gonna be a good day. And fall is finally in the air.
Thank you for reading along with our 20 Questions in 20 Days series all September. Now we wait for the season to start. In the meantime, the Islanders will take on the Flyers for their annual preseason game at the PPL Center in Allentown, PA. Maybe they’ll go to Dorney Park while they’re there.
But first, Twitter debated the proper pronunciation of Tavares (it’s tuh-VER-us, of course), and Arron Asham weighed in:
Tray-toor— Arron Asham (@TheRealAsham45) September 20, 2018
And, to add a little spice to your morning:
Friedman on #Isles: "I do think that if I was to put money on it now - and I'm not saying I'm going to be right, but if I had to place an early-season wager - I think that's the team that's all-in for Bobrovsky." #CBJ #31ThoughtsThePodcast— Chris Nichols (@NicholsOnHockey) September 20, 2018
Certainly something to keep an eye on. I believe this is in reference to Sergei Bobrovsky hitting the open market next summer, not picking him up in a trade this season. Okay, onto the articles!
- Last night, the Islanders defeated the Devils 2-0 at Barclays Center. Kieffer Bellows and Anders Lee had the goals, and Thomas Greiss and Christopher Gibson pitched a combined shutout. [Islanders]
- Enjoy some sights from last night’s preseason showdown. [Newsday]
- Bellows is learning quite a bit from Lee and is making a damn good case to stick around when training camp ends. [The Sports Daily]
- I answered the final question in our series last night: Can the Isles make the playoffs? Folks, anything is possible, keep that in mind. [LHH]
- In my response, I make reference to the gaping hole at the top of the lineup where John Tavares used to be. Andrew Gross posits that now is as good a time as any for Brock Nelson to step up and seize that spot, and Barry Trotz agrees. [Newsday]
- Speaking of breakouts, Ryan Pulock is poised for a big one. Also, when Trotz was just starting out, he scouted Ryan’s father, Dave Pulock, also a defenseman. [Islanders]
- The Isles play the Flyers tonight, but Saturday night, they take on the Rangers in Bridgeport’s Webster Bank Arena, home of the Sound Tigers. Puck drop is 7:00 p.m., but there is a pre-game Party on the Plaza beginning at 4:30 p.m. [Sound Tigers]
- The Worcester Railers, the Isles’ ECHL affiliate, are in need of a PA announcer. If you live in the Worcester area or somewhere close, or even if you don’t and are feeling bold, you should apply! [ECHL Jobs]
- Folks, much to everyone’s surprise (even their own), Mike and Dan are back with another episode of Islanders Anxiety. And they’re going weekly! [LHH]
- Max Domi, a raging ass like his pops, was suspended for the rest of the preseason for his sucker punch on Aaron Ekblad, who, by the way, has a well-documented history of concussions. I’m sure that $0 fine and getting to play all 82 games that matter really stings. I hate this league. [NHL]
- Former Ranger Ron Duguay will not return as a hockey analyst for MSG this season. He thanked Ranger fans for all their support over the last 12 years. [Newsday]
- Former Islander Nate Thompson has converted to Judaism, commenting, “I like what I’m a part of.” [The Athletic]