What day is it? If it’s an Isles-Flyers preseason game then it must be Sunday, Monday, Tuesday or Friday. But Wednesday is...no game at all tonight?
- They played (the Flyers, duh) again last night, and it went worse than Monday. Already feeling the Trotz grind? “I think we can play a little better defensively. We looked a little bit fatigued and I think that’s the grind of training camp.” [Isles]
- Kieffer “shooter” Bellows had seven of their shots on goal.
- David Quenneville notched the only Isles goal in a 5-1 loss. It looked a lot like a lot of the goals he scored in junior:
- After that one, which tied it at 1-1, the Flyers scored three quick ones on Robin Lehner. [Newsday]
- On the Matt Martin, Casey Cizikas, Cal Clutterbuck reunion, which continued for a second game: “When you play a certain way you have an identity.” [Newsday | Post]
- The Athletic had more on the trio, including Martin citing their chemistry as the ability to hold each other accountable without taking it personally, and Clutterbuck saying this about his terrible season under Doug Weight: “A few systems were different. It was a little disorganized at times. I seem to be a player who enjoys structure...detail.”
(Also in that Athletic piece: More disturbing (to me) Trotz quotes about how some of the new grinder signings are “winners” and have “character.”)
Here was the lineup they trotted out. Trotz said he liked the PK more than Monday’s version:
#Isles Lines:— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) September 18, 2018
Lehner in goal
- Our 20 Questions in 20 Days series is winding down. Yesterday Noel took on a big one: what can we expect from a post-Tavares Josh Bailey? [LHH]
The Islanders are off today and host the Devils in Brooklyn Thursday. Trotz said no comes are pending, but the groups will be reshuffled along more of an NHL-AHL alignment.
And finally, a moment of “at least we’re not the Senators” zen: