The good is that it’s almost the weekend; the bad is that it is only Thursday morning. I will post this every Thursday that we have Bits until the season starts.
- As you probably heard the other day, Ryan Pulock agreed to a two-year contract with an AAV of $2 million per year. [LHH | Newsday | Islanders]
- As Arthur Staple notes, the short-term deal for Pulock highlights Lou Lamoriello and Barry Trotz’s need for further evaluation with the roster, which extends to extensions for Anders Lee and Jordan Eberle. [The Athletic]
- The #StapeChat returned yesterday, as Staple answered questions under the premise that he knows nothing. [The Athletic]
- They’ve also hired John Gruden as an assistant coach, pilfering him from the Oakland Raiders. Actually, John with an ‘h’ headed up the Hamilton Bulldogs, the OHL champs from this past season. [LHH | Newsday | NY Post | TSN]
- The man that gave you the fantastic breakup letter about John Tavares leaving is back with another hit - summer 2018 is the turning point for the franchise. [LHH Fanpost]
- And a Danish Isles fan wonders aloud about the tactical conservatism that makes up so much of hockey today. [LHH Fanpost]
- Noel answers your questions in the Isles Buzz Podcast’s Summer Mailbag. [LHH]
- Jenny is bringing back the Top 25 Under 25, and your opinion is needed. Excited to get this going again. [LHH]
- Andrew Barroway is seeking a valuation of $500 million for his Arizona Coyotes. That’s a lot of dough. [Forbes]
- The Hurricanes have hired former Islanders assistant coach Dean Chynoweth for the same position. [Hurricanes]
- Data scientists at Berkeley have broken down the cost of being a Sports Fan, and man is it expensive in more ways than one. But, when considering both physical and emotional cost, being an Islanders fan somehow turns out to be a good deal in the NHL.
- A man cutting watermelons on his stomach with a katana? Sure, why not? [SBN]