There may be only one more game left in this NHL season, though we’ll wait two off days to see it.
- The Isles Seat podcast checked in with Travis Hamonic, who’s doing well with his new baby and ready to adjust to yet another new coach after years of Cappy in Bridgeport and on the Island. He also had nothing but good things to say about Garth Snow. [Isles Seat]
- Once again the Islanders and Flyers will have a preseason meeting in Allentown. [Phantoms]
- Which Sound Tigers players are returning for 2018-19? Keep track with this player chaser page. [BST]
- Opinion: Lou took the job to win with the Isles, whether or not it will include Tavares, who “continues to make no promises.” [SNY]
- Empire State Development has hired a law firm for the Belmont arena and entertainment complex project. This thing is happening. [LIBN]
- Lots of NHL teams use psychological surveys at the draft combine now, which must make it a miserable day for prospects. [The Athletic]
- Amanda Kessel is returning to the NWHL, with the Metro Riveters. [ESPN]
- The annual SB Nation NHL Mock Draft has begun. We’ll be making our picks later this week — OR WILL WE? — but our Sabres, Hurricanes and sites kicked things off: Die By the Blade | Canes Country
- If the Blackhawks start off next season poorly — which, they probably will — Rocky Wirtz says there could be changes because “nothing lasts forever.” [NHL]
- Offseason Game Plan series: L.A. Kings edition. [TSN]
The Vegas Golden Knights actually played well last night, arguably even had the better of play before the score got away from them as mistakes cost them. They hit two posts early, the Capitals pounced on their own opportunities...6-2 Caps and a 3-1 series lead for D.C.
Several ways of describing that:
“The Knights took better shots, had better opportunities and made the most of them, but the goalie play of Holtby was too on-point, while Marc-Andre Fleury has struggled all series.” [SB Nation] Team blogs react: Japers’ Rink | Knights On Ice
Suddenly all the percentages are going against Vegas. [TSN]
the vegas golden knights died the way they lived: on a massive pdo bender— dom (@domluszczyszyn) June 5, 2018
Vegas fans: Wow, this feels awful.— Down Goes Brown (@DownGoesBrown) June 5, 2018
The rest of us: Yep.
Vegas fans: Have you ever felt this way before?
The rest of us: We have, yes.
Vegas fans: Does it happen often?
The rest of us: It's like 99% of being a hockey fan.
“In October, they may not have heard of him. Monday night, they chanted his name.” [Wash. Post on Devante Smith-Pelly]