John Tavares, most have inferred and would have us believe, will surely indicate today whether he intends to remain with the New York Islanders.
Even typing those words is surreal and a bit painful — not because I never expected that might happen, but rather I can’t believe The Moment is actually here. Everyone has suspected the Islanders were still in pole position, especially after the strategic “focusing on negotiating with the Islanders” stories of two weeks ago. But “Everyone” includes all the thousands of people who have no true idea what he is thinking.
Certainly, the Islanders captain wouldn’t take the process this far if he wasn’t seriously entertaining the idea of going to chase the Stanley Cup as some other team’s second- or third-most important player, rather than the most important one in blue and orange.
There is some thought that he could wait even until Saturday, but for the sake of everyone involved — most especially Dan — I do hope whatever decision is communicated soon.
- Dan has all the updates from yesterday. Twice. (Including: Pierre LeBrun saying Tavares this morning may start alerting teams that they are no longer in the running.) [LHH]
- The thinking goes, since Tavares can only have an eight-year deal (and only from the Isles) if it’s completed by tomorrow night, that surely he must give word today. Surely. [NHL | Athletic]
- It would be cool to know soon though, because, the Isles, they kind of have to get on with plans and address needs. [Newsday]
- One of those needs? Goaltending. Seems some of the names are dropping out of reach. [LHH]
- Seriously, even John Tavares’ famous uncle, John Tavares, doesn’t know. [Newsday]
- The bargains, and the “danger: do not approach” players in free agency. Calvin de Haan: “should be one of the prized free agents available this summer. His impact on his teammates is extremely positive by every measure that matters” [Sportsnet]
- Catching up with David Quenneville, the legend of Medicine Hat. [Isles]
- Catching up with all the young Americans the Isles drafted last weekend. [Isles]
- At last night’s mini-camp scrimmage, Oliver Wahlstrom wowed with some sweet moves (see Tweet video below). [LHH | Isles | Islanders Insight]
- Kieffer Bellows impressed, too. [Newsday | Photos]
What do you think? #SCTop10?? @WahlstromOliver @SportsCenter #IslesMiniCamp pic.twitter.com/gTmYCuCqNb— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) June 29, 2018
- Another look at all the free agent goalies of note. [NHL]
- Meanwhile, “maybe Jim Rutherford would deal Tristan Jarry” if a team was “in full panic mode” over getting a goalie. [FRS Hockey]
- Penguins fans get the scouting report on Jack Johnson from Blue Jackets fans, and it’s not pretty. I will say, I hope someone pays him so he can get out from under the giant debt his parents dumped on him. [PensBurgh]
- The Rangers are interested in Ryan Reaves, which would be all kinds of fun. [Post]
- Here are some of the cheap things the Oilers could buy in free agency with their limited cap room. [C&B]
- In part, because: Milan Lucic. Who isn’t on the move, according to his agent. [Edm. Journal]
- Sounds like Mike Green isn’t one of them, since he’s close to re-signing with Detroit. [NHL]
- Logan Couture can’t sign an extension in San Jose until July 1 (wait...this sounds familiar), but they are closing in on an eight-year deal. [NHL]
- These prospect development camps aren’t tryouts, but they totally are. [The Athletic]
- The long, winding journey to bring Shannon Szabados to Buffalo. [Die By The Blade]