No team news to speak of, but Team Canada obliterated host Denmark at the IIHF World Championship so of course the well-represented Islanders were all over the score sheet.
Josh Bailey opened scoring on an assist by Mathew Barzal (his fifth thus far):
Josh Bailey opens up the scoring for @HC_Men on the power play after being set up by his @NYIslanders teammate Mathew Barzal.#IIHFWorlds pic.twitter.com/VnWmfTTqzM— TSN (@TSN_Sports) May 7, 2018
- It finished as a 7-1 rout, with Bailey also setting up Ryan O’Reilly on a nice one, and Jordan Eberle finishing on a feed from Connor McDavid.
- The U.S. stayed undefeated with a 3-0 win over Germany. [IIHF]
- With a little more tweaking, the AHL realigns (slightly) again. [Sound Tigers]
- Remembering the thrilling night five (?!) years ago when a John Tavares go-ahead goal gave the Isles a big playoff win while Matt Harvey flirted with a perfect game. Promising things lay ahead, it seemed. [The Athletic]
That last post includes our power ranking guru Mike L.’s in-person video from the game, so might as well enjoy it again here:
Something happened in the NHL last night and it was entertaining.
For the 2nd time, the #Penguins streak of back-to-back #StanleyCup's ends with a loss in the 6th minute of OT on home-ice of the 2nd round series.— Eric Hornick (@ehornick) May 8, 2018
Felt oddly familiar, even:
And then there were five, but not yet four.
May 8, 2018
- The Capitals finally eliminated the Penguins from the playoffs — and finally returned to the conference final — thanks to the rarest of feats, a breakaway OT winner. [SB Nation | Sportsnet | Japers’ Rink | PensBurgh]
- The Jets, however, had a chance to eliminate the Predators in front of a rabid home crowd, but instead they were shut out and now face Game 7 in Nashville, which isn’t until Thursday.
- What is it, really, that Tom Wilson is good for? [Puck Daddy]
- Sure feels like the Old Hockey Boys network is rallying around Mark Hunter as the “should be” next Leafs GM over young non-NHLer Kyle Dubas. Here’s Glenn Healy. [Sportsnet]
- Not hockey, and only tangentially baseball, but life: Maybe after Bill Torrey’s death I’m in a sentimental mood. But R.I.P. Gretchen Piscotty. Glad her son got some special time in what turned out to be her final months. [ESPN | Chronicle]
- With a career below-average backup putting up a career season and having one more year on his deal, the Leafs have some goalie questions to look forward to. [Sportsnet]