The NHL’s big GM news of yesterday morning came via reports of the Wild set to name Paul Fenton general manager, which re-ignited the usual “AND YET THE ISLES SIT AND DO NOTH—” [oh wait].
All jokes aside, once the reports escalated over the last week that Lou Lamoriello was headed to the Islanders, thinking anything in the interim was “inaction” is only ignoring how things work in Lou’s world: Methodical, without leaks.
So anyway, by the afternoon, Arthur Staple was the first to report his sources confirm yes, Lamoriello would be coming to the Isles in charge of all hockey operations. The details and fate of others are still to come — possibly as soon as today — but the important fish is in the boat.
- Staple had it first: Lou is coming, the fate of Snow is not yet clear. [Athletic | LHH | Post | Newsday | NHL]
- Former Devils employee Brooksie with familiar (but some on point) lines about accountability, excuses, etc. Low on hyperbole and “make no mistake” stuff, with emphasis on “Lou’s the boss” and speculation about others joining too. [Post]
- What likely motivated this move more than any fan billboard or radio jockey or twitter storm or strongly worded letter? The effort to re-sign John Tavares. We looked back at Lou’s courtship of Ilya Kovalchuk for clues to how he’ll approach #91. [LHH]
- Not to be missed: Poor Spizzwolf puts together a delightful post on the magic of Mathew Barzal breaking down defenses, and we post it hours before the Lou news breaks. [LHH]
- The Lou news also kind of buried Scott Cullen’s always-good “offseason game plan” for the Isles. Mistakenly ascribes the Chimera signing to last summer though. [TSN]
- Cal Clutterbuck was at the local golf course (I say that in “an Ohio State” kind of way, I know a lot of people really care about this) where the U.S. Open will happen. Of note: much less facial hair...hmmm...anticipating Lou’s stupidest quirk? [Isles]
- Seven players from the PAL Junior Isles were drafted by USHL teams. [Isles]
The Leafs announced today that the club and Assistant General Manager Mark Hunter have mutually agreed to part ways, effective immediately.— Leafs PR (@LeafsPR) May 22, 2018
Which is to suggest he won’t necessarily be restricted from working for another team for the remaining year of his TOR contract, but it will be later in the summer before he would be permitted to do so.— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) May 22, 2018
- Staying on topic, here was Pension Plan Puppets’ spring read of the Lamoriello era in Toronto. [PPP]
- Wait, there are actual games going on too?! The Capitals shut out the Lightning to force Game 7 on Wednesday. [NHL] (The Caps franchise has lost 4 of 5 and 10 of 13 Games 7. Ouch.)
- Yeah, Minnesota is hiring Predators assistant GM Paul Fenton to helm their team. Good for them. [NHL | Hockey Wilderness]
- Quick review: How the Stanley Cup finalist Golden Knights were built, and not just through Dale Tallon’s generosity either. [SB Nation]
- But keep in mind they’ve made it to round 4 largely thanks to historic goaltending. [Puck Daddy]
- Unpacking how some neutrals are bitter about Vegas’ early success. [Athletic]